JMS on CompuServe (May 09, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Sat May 9 13:09:22 EDT 1998

    Sb: #CC Debate: Over
    Sb: #32473-#CC Debate: Over
    Sb: #32514-CC Debate: Over

 #: 32365 S2/Bab 5: General
    06-May-98  23:34:01
Sb: #CC Debate: Over
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Okay, from the beginning of the Claudia Christian departure, I've been
saying that she quit.  At the time, she said she was fired.  And a lot of
people said, "Well, we'll never really know."  This despite all the basic
facts being confirmed by both sides.

      I quote from an interview with Claudia just published in the Summer
issue of Sci Fi Invasion:

      Question: By you quitting, Straczynski lost Ivanova.  He couldn't have
been happy about that.

      Claudia: I think he feels like I put them out or something by quitting
the show, when in essence I don't really think it affected anything.  (small
snip)  I just didn't think there'd be a lot for me to do, and I didn't want to
be relegated to one more year of not having my any challenges.

      She has finally confirmed it: I told the truth from the beginning.  She
quit.  She wasn't fired.  She quit.

      This debate is now over.

                                                                    jms

 #: 32473 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-May-98  23:36:14
Sb: #32365-#CC Debate: Over
Fm: KEVIN KENNEY

I've understood the quit/fired part of the situation since it happened.  What
I don't understand is why you've never commented about her assertions that she
was underused which she plainly stated at cons for at least a year before she
left.  I rermember one case that she refered to Ivanova as 'furniture - just a
part of the set'.

Any comment on those assertions, or at least a word on why you won't comment
on them?

Sorry to still be a drag,
KpK

 #: 32478 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-May-98  03:31:03
Sb: #32473-#CC Debate: Over
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I have commented on them.  Understand that this is an ensemble show. We
have (and have had) anywhere from 11-14 regular/recurring characters, and it
is common for any number of them in a crowd that big to feel that they are
being under-utilized.  I use each of the cast members as much as the story
requires.  That's all I *can* do, because nothing else makes sense.

                                                                    jms

 #: 32514 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-May-98  07:43:08
Sb: #32365-#CC Debate: Over
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

We just had a guy leave here at my company. He was an intern, we all liked
him, we hoped he'd stay and he seemed to enjoy his job. I use to go to lunch
with him almost every day, we got pretty tight.

He just graduated, and got an offer to work for the goverment at over 50K to
*start*. The position he had with us never *could* have paid that, so we
bought him a cake, gave him a pat on the back and wished him well. It could
not have been more cordial.

Last week it got back to us that he was telling other people that he wanted to
stay, but we didn't have our act together, etc. etc.

This is a good guy. I have and still do consider hima friend. I have *no idea*
where all this is coming from.

People are *wierd* about leaving jobs. It's like *somebody* has to be to
blame.

CC wanted X. B5 offered Y. That was unacceptable, she left. She is no less
talented today than she was before. B5 has adapted nicely. If she just hadn't
been *wierd* about leaving, all the B5 people would probably be boosting her
career.

Michael O'Hare wasn't wierd. He was a gentelman, and didn't try to involve the
public in an internal business and creative decision that *none of it's damn
business*. Guess what? He gets invited to cons, and is now *Valen*. No matter
what he does, his resume can now read SF Icon. Mark Lenard got to milk the
Sarek cow for *30 years*. Sure he didn't get rich from it, but it was there.

I will never understand why people *insist* on shooting themselves in the
foot.

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 32529 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-May-98  13:28:08
Sb: #32514-CC Debate: Over
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Bingo...that is as true a statement as I have ever read about this stuff
in general, and this case in particular.