ATTN JMS: Harlan Ellison vs Frank Sinatra encounter?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon May 18 06:29:09 EDT 1998

From: <U16028 at uicvm.uic.edu>
Date: 16 May 1998 14:40:59 -0600

jms,
I was watching ABC Nightline on Friday, May 15th, and the show was a
retrospective (for lack of a better term) of the life of Frank Sinatra.
One of the guests (I don't remember the name) was relating a story
which was intended to convey the "tough guy" attitude that Frank Sinatra
had.  The story was that Frank Sinatra went into a business, possibly
a pool hall or bar, and spotted some younger men, long haired and
casually dressed, playing pool.  Spouting off about "long haired hippies"
Frank Sinatra began to pick a fight with one of the pool players.
The man relating the story mentioned the name of the pool player as
a "young Harlan Ellison, in long hair and cowboy boots".  The storyteller
gave no further details of the encounter.

I was just curious if you had ever heard of the story, and if so knew any
more of the details.

Also, I still have the Chicago Sun-Times full page article about which
I wrote to you in January.  After your intitial reply asking for the copy
you never replied to my notes asking for an address to which to send the
articles.  If you still want them please send me a note with an
address.

BTW, I sent a note to the B5 club e-mail address with the same address
request, explaining your interest in the article, but I never received
a reply.  Some fan club!

Terry