A call for peace

zofran at deepthot.ml.org zofran at deepthot.ml.org
Wed May 13 19:39:37 EDT 1998

Am I alone in the impression that this newsgroup is rapidly devolving into
a war zone?    Flames, trolls, counter-flames, counter-trolls,
counter-counter-flames....ad nauseum.    Both sides believe that the other
side is responsible for all the ugliness.   "He started it, I'm just
defending myself!"...makes me think of the Centauri and the Narn.
Does it matter anymore, who started it?   What matters is that it is
destroying the newsgroup.    Might I suggest a truly innovative response
to truly offensive posts:   ignore them!   You might find that silence is
a _most_ effective last word.

Maia
	I will arise and go now, for always night and day
	I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
	While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavement gray,
	I hear it in the deep heart's core.

                           --From "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" by W.B.Yeats