article on JMS's MIT visit

zofran at deepthot.ml.org zofran at deepthot.ml.org
Mon May 11 00:09:38 EDT 1998

And did you happen to catch this weeks DS9 episode?  Well o.k. they did kill off
all
but one of their crew, so they are redeemed in that sense.

As a kid from the 80's (I do find it troubling actually considering that there is
an
entire generation that has no conception of the implications of that fact.  Truly
a frightening time to grow up, of course this younger generation will probably
have
it tougher, what with power rangers, barney, spice girls, hanson and the rest
of their ilk, yargh) I watched much of the japanimation that made it through to
american TV.  At this time, those programs became the definition of popular
Sci-Fi.  These shows stuck to a specific formula for generating their characters.
(Dashing hero, Rouge/Smuggler, Princess, Big Guy)  As a part of this formula
there was always a kid, usually he wore glasses and was some sort of prodigy,
typically the kid would have some a robot as a companion, sometimes there
would be some furry alien pet or mouse involved.

    "Speed Racer, the Mach 5 vs. Racer X showed us the way."

No, after living through all that, you're going to have to do a lot better than
denial to
convince me that B5 hasn't challenged a genuine stigma attached to SF.  It may
not seem contemporary, but it's still fresh in my mind.

Interesting and his dog Spot, what was your favorite Force Five story?