ATTN JMS: How Do You Read a Book?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri May 29 06:15:40 EDT 1998

From: Malfait at earthlink.net
Date: 28 May 1998 00:23:44 -0600

Because of your influence, I have read the Bible -- twice.

As an atheist, I did not gain the insight that you
have demonstrated through the fine writing on B5.  Although I
found the Bible to be contradictory and not a text by which
to live my life, your example has taught me to treat religion
with more respect than my previous resentful attitude toward my
fellow Bible-belters...

I also read _Le Morte DArthur_ by Sir Thomas Mallory (inspired by
"A Late Delivery from Avalon").  My reaction was more in line with
that of Mark Twain's in _A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court_
(another book you inspired me to read -- with "A War Prayer").  Again,
I failed to glean the insights that you did.

Specifically, I'm referring to the passage leading to Arthur's death,
in which an adder on the field of battle led to disaster.  In the
book itself, the scene is fairly dry...

Two-part question:

1) How do you approach reading -- do you read novels differently
than manuals?

2) How did you transform the passage in _Le Morte DArthur_ to the
poignant counterpoint in B5?  Did you read the Cliff's Notes?
Was there some other play, book, etc. (i.e., _Excalibur_) that
moved you?

Thank you.