JMS on CompuServe (Nov 06, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (2/2)

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Fri Nov 6 22:11:10 EST 1998

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #51465-#<WoF>Sheridan's memory
    Sb: #50806-#Londo's Tragic Fate

 #: 51502 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    06-Nov-98  17:06:05
Sb: #51465-#<WoF>Sheridan's memory
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Y'know, this discussion kinda baffles me to some extent.

      For starters, Sheridan was only in the future briefly; he was being
beaten and was confused and not sure how much of it was real; he doesn't know
if his going to Z'ha'dum *changed* any of that future...the events he did see
were 20 years down the road, and there's no way for him to know (as we know,
the audience) what connects to what...he sees only destruction, and that could
have happened two weeks before (there's no rule that says a capital city can
be bombed only once)...no way to know if the keeper may have been implanted
days or months before.  To try and impose a quick understanding of events 20
years down the road on things happening right now, without knowing the
context, would be madness...you don't need a keeper to start a war, or half
our own leaders here would have had keepers on them.

      As for Delenn...yes, he heard her talk about their son, but at the same
time, again, that's 20 years down the road.  Their son could be any age, so
the news that she's pregnant will still be a shock whenever it comes; you may
know that you're planning to have kids, that the doctor says its possible, but
when you actually hear the news, it's a stunner every time.

      His question is a natural one...he doesn't know if the kid in the future
had to be taken out of utero to be sustained until it came full term, doesn't
know if extreme measures had to be taken...his question is a sensible and
justifiable one.

      People are assuming that what *they* know as the audience, Sheridan
knows, which he does not...and assuming that he knows everything that is to
come, or what it means, or how it happens, or in what context, which he does
not.

      His memory is not faulty.

                                                                    jms

   have been enough [to make Londo give in to the Drakh], after all, the
   capitol was already getting fragged anyway." ]

 #: 51085 S16/S5 Unaired SPOILERS
    02-Nov-98  15:43:12
Sb: #50806-#Londo's Tragic Fate
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, the capital was getting beat up, but there's a difference between
thousands of dead and billions dead...Londo sacrified himself to save the
lives of billions.