JMS on CompuServe (Nov 18, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Wed Nov 18 22:11:57 EST 1998

    Sb: #51886-Another two cents....
    Sb: #51663-<<WOF>> Garibaldi
    Sb: #51633-#River of Souls: Shyster
    Sb: #51925-River of Souls: Shyster
    Sb: #51690-#Hey, Joe! <ROS>
    Sb: #51765-#Hey, Joe! <ROS>
    Sb: #52213-#JMS/B5 Flashback - 1991
    Sb: #52423-Soul Hunter q (SFLIT)
    Sb: #52288-#River of Sheen

 #: 51886 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    11-Nov-98  14:52:12
Sb: #51309-#Another two cents....
Fm: RICK COREY

>>       Organized?  If they had an opposable thumb and could hold a
screwdriver, we'd all be doomed. <<

My friend's Siamese has demonstrated a taste for human blood.  His mother
slipped and cut herself, then they rushed to the hospital leaving a puddle of
blood to be cleaned up later.

When they came home, there was no puddle, and the cat was licking her
whiskers.

Never turn your back on a cat, and thank Ghu they aren't as large as dogs.

I've been holding my breath and edge-sitting the chair while watching the
recent episodes.  Great work!  Loved Lyta's straitjacket: verrrrry kinky!  I
love her development, too: meeting openly with arms dealers, defying authority
figures and declaring war on the Corps.  Why is the inevitable always a
surprise when it happens?

Speaking of surprises, I was amazed when Delenn became pregnant.  It actually
took me many seconds to make the connection with David, from WWE.  Duhhh!

I loved your treatment of Michael's being caught drunk.  I had assumed he
would crash-and-burn after Sheridan flushed him down the toilet.  Compassion
was harder for Michael to take, so hard that he seems to have awoken a little
.. I guess Lochley, Sheridan and Lisa hit him so hard and fast that a little
sense leaked in.

When Lochley called Lisa on Michael's behalf, I was blown away - now I see
that I've started thinking of Lochley as a person rather than a character.  At
first I thought "She wouldn't do that - she's tough and standoffish", then
"Maybe she's more sensitive, caring and interfering than I knew".  Then I
realized I was trying figure out how well I understood the inner mental
workings of a character in a TV show, and just had to smile and nod to the
Great Maker.  You've introduced me to another friend not born of flesh.

Thanks again for the whole series.  B5 was a giant leap for TV-SF.  I hope
that Crusade leaves you with at least a few minutes a day to rest, or live, or
whatever it is people do when not working.

RMES Minister of the Cathode Ray

 #: 51949 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    11-Nov-98  20:47:13
Sb: #51886-Another two cents....
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, I appreciate that...the characters are a lot of fun to play
with.

                                                                    jms

 #: 51663 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    09-Nov-98  13:57:11
Sb: #<<WOF>> Garibaldi
Fm: JONATHAN KASS

jms,

just caught both the Fall and WOF... Fall reminded me just how much momentum
had been building - had to be frustrating that the series of episodes that
seemed to be happening one-right-after-the-other got interrupted right at the
payoff...

Spolier space regarding Garibaldi...

Anyway, quick question about Garibaldi, now that WOF has aired... seems like
he was willing to make a pretty bad deal with Lyta in return for the block
being removed (with "bad" = basically agreeing to betray Lise on some level at
Edgars Industries).  I had always speculated that Franklin's answer to
Garibaldi a few episodes on how to break a telepathic block was going to be
"alchohol", and that that of course was why he began drinking (which itself
was a "bad" deal, given the lives his drinking cost).  Now, though, I have to
assume that I was wrong, or else he doesn't do the deal on Lyta's terms...

So the question is, are we going to see in the last 2 episodes before SIL what
Franklin's answer to that question was?  Seems all but unbelievable that
Franklin and Garibaldi would not have linked up on that subject off screen at
some point.

Thanks

 #: 51683 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    09-Nov-98  16:56:01
Sb: #51663-<<WOF>> Garibaldi
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Franklin's solution really wouldn't have worked...only a teep can undo
the damage here.

                                                                    jms

 #: 51633 S15/Babylon 5 Movies
    09-Nov-98  08:55:02
Sb: #River of Souls: Shyster
Fm: WIZOP WES MEIER

Joe:

Great story!  Martin Sheen was an excellent choice for the Soul Hunter role.
His eyes are SSSSoooo intense!

Congrats on the Holo-Brothel Lawyer character.  He was perfect and the actor
you chose to portray him was even better.

You maust have had bad (read: realistic) experiences with Lawyers to have
gotten it so right.

                - Wes

 #: 51647 S15/Babylon 5 Movies
    09-Nov-98  12:15:07
Sb: #51633-#River of Souls: Shyster
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Oh, and then some....

                                                                    jms

   imagination so it sets off all sorts of mental pictures--and the
   movie lived up to it." ]

 #: 51950 S15/Babylon 5 Movies
    11-Nov-98  20:47:13
Sb: #51925-River of Souls: Shyster
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Cool...thanks.

                                                                    jms

   in a corset? ]

 #: 51757 S15/Babylon 5 Movies
    10-Nov-98  12:28:00
Sb: #51690-#Hey, Joe! <ROS>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Her reaction on reading the script was to go on an immediate crash diet,
saying, "I want to make the boys cry."

                                                                    jms

 #: 51765 S15/Babylon 5 Movies
    10-Nov-98  15:15:04
Sb: #51757-#Hey, Joe! <ROS>
Fm: CARL CANTARELLA

>>Her reaction on reading the script was to go on an immediate crash diet,
saying, "I want to make the boys cry."<<

	I got a kick out of the holobrothel owner's line about her image being
more popular with the ladies. <g>
		Did Tracy have any reaction concerning that? :)

 #: 51884 S15/Babylon 5 Movies
    11-Nov-98  14:10:09
Sb: #51765-#Hey, Joe! <ROS>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, nobody seemed to think twice about it...and it's another nod
to the reality that there are all kinds of people out there of divergent
interests.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52213 S2/Bab 5: General
    14-Nov-98  18:28:03
Sb: #52197-#JMS/B5 Flashback - 1991
Fm: REBECCA COSTELLO

Wow. I'm filing this away myself...it really is a little piece of B5 history
and neat to read. (And just to make you all--and me!--feel old, I was only ten
when that message was written <G> Ah, my enlightenment had barely begun...)

Rebeca

 #: 52305 S2/Bab 5: General
    15-Nov-98  23:18:09
Sb: #52213-#JMS/B5 Flashback - 1991
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"And just to make you all--and me!--feel old, I was only ten when that message
was written <G>"

      If you need me, I'll be up on the roof....

                                                                    jms

 #: 52423 S4/B5 Seas. 1-4
    18-Nov-98  05:35:13
Sb: #Soul Hunter q (SFLIT)
Fm: BANCROFT GRACEY

Joe, we've been discussing the Pratchett/Gaiman book "Good Omens" in the SFLIT
Book Club, and naturally this has led to a discussion of B5...<g>

Specifically... when, at the end of Soul Hunter (season 1), Delenn is
releasing 'souls', is she only releasing minbari 'souls', or all the 'souls'
in the renegade Soul Hunter's collection?

(Yes, the thread did drift rather...)

-bpg-

 #: 52453 S4/B5 Seas. 1-4
    18-Nov-98  17:45:05
Sb: #52423-Soul Hunter q (SFLIT)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It would be any and all so imprisoned.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52288 (C) S15/Babylon 5 Movies
    15-Nov-98  15:58:05
Sb: River of Sheen
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

jms,

I asked a friend to post this for me since I don't have access and since I
don't want to get onto the moderated newsgroup for personal reasons.

But I wanted to comment about Martin Sheen's acting in "River of Souls".  I
thought *maybe* you may be able to talk about this since I heard you can be
very involved in what goes into the nonverbal "blocking" both in writing and
on the screen.

When I heard the previews on RoS, there was a couple of different viewpoints
on Sheen.  Some said he was wonderful; others said that he overacted.  So
going into the movie Sunday night, I wasn't sure what to expect.  But what I
saw was this:  When Sheen's Soul Hunter first appeared, I was almost afraid
that "overacting" crowd was right.  However, as the movie progressed, I
suddenly noticed something was going on with Sheen's acting and his
character.  His acting was becoming more "natural" (though it still
maintained the alien quality of the Soul Hunters).  And I realized that this
might have been on purpose.  At the beginning, Sheen's character was
supposed to be somewhat bombastic and arrogant -- he knew that he was
walking into a situation where he was expecting to be opposed and so was
putting on the appropriate "airs".  I know to some people, this could
possibly be seen as overacting because it is a purposely affected quality.
Then, as he changed and came to understand the terrible things that his
people had done, as he became closer to Lochley, there was a change.  The
pretenses dropped, and so did his affectations.  In this way, he seemed more
natural.  The change in his demeanor reflected the change in his heart and
soul.

I've shared this observation with some other people, but they haven't really
said whether or not they saw that too, so I wanted to know if this was
actually what was going on or something I was just seeing.  If this really
was what Sheen was doing, was this something he came up with or did you have
any say with how you saw the character of the Soul Hunter being approached?

In any case, I think Sheen did a wonderful job with the role.  I really
enjoyed the movie and its intelligence overall.

Thanks for the great 5-year roller coaster you've shared with us.  I'm
looking forward to trying out Crusade next year.

Lara

 #: 52304 S15/Babylon 5 Movies
    15-Nov-98  21:51:04
Sb: #52288-#River of Sheen
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      What we had discussed (actor, director and me) was that soul hunters
don't generally get much chance to hang out and talk to people; they can
empathically sense the language, however, when they encounter others.  At
first, he didn't know the language very well, and gradually became more able
to express himself.