ATTN JMS: Enjoyed Rising Stars #1, you dream-shaper you!

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 23 04:37:34 EDT 1999

From: pokrface at texas.net (Lee Hutchinson)
Date: 22 Aug 1999 14:12:07 -0600

It strikes me as particularly amusing that Joe Straczynski has been a
part of my life for so long.

When I was kindergarten-age, "Masters of the Universe" was one of my
favorite shows, right up there with "Dukes of Hazzard."  I watched every
single episode every single day, for as long as the show was on.  I had
all the action figures, all the playsets, and all the vehicles.  I loved
that cartoon.

As time passed, I latched onto a new offering: "Captain Power."  Though
rather short-lived, I also had all that show's paraphernalia, and I shot
the screen with the rest of the rabid children, and it scared me to death
when one of those CGI dragon-things got me and my CAptain Power action
figure came shooting out of the spaceship/gun thing.  But my young mind
was also intrigued by the story.

My focus shifted as I grew older, and after "Knight Rider" went off the
air, I latched onto "The Real Ghostbusters."  That became my favorite
television show, and the episodes I now know were written by Joe I
remember as being among my favorites.  I loved any episode that hinted at
an overall continuity to the show, and Joe's were some of the best.

"Murder, She Wrote" has entertained me on and off for most of my
adolescence, and as I entered my senior year in high school I stumbled
across "Comes the Inquisitor" one eve on the telly.  I was at the height
of depression over the sudden end of a two-year relationship, and the
show struck a chord in me.  Although the pilot episode of B5 had solidly
turned me off a couple of years earlier, I decided to give the show
another chance.  "The Fall of Night" blew me out of my chair, and I
became a rabid, slavering fan ever since, hungrily gobbling up any bit of
B5-related stuff I can find, both on the Internet and IRL.

"In Valen's Name" is the only comic book series I've ever purchased.
"Rising Stars" will be the second.  RS seems like a wonderfully crafted
story with a strong emotional core.  I'm eager to read more of it...plus,
the narrator is an obviously disturbed individual who shares my first
name and who can set things on fire with his mind.  Cool.

As I begin my fourth year of college, I cannot help but wonder if this
has been a part of Joe's plan all along--snag a generation of people by
his writing, control their youths with constant suggestion and messages,
shape their adolescence and teen years, and now, as they prepare to enter
the job market, snap his fingers and turn us all into Straczynskoids, who
will take up arms and fight for his Holy Cause, whatever that may be.

We're ready, Supreme Commander Joe!

(Damn, I need to get out more often...)

--
Lee Hutchinson
pokrface at texas.net
http://pokrface.home.texas.net
"It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago; we got a full tank of gas,
half-a-pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Hit it."