jms- Megacon

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 20 04:58:04 EST 1999

From: Gary Farber <gfarber at panix.com>
Date: 18 Jan 1999 23:19:58 -0700

In <77lv0e$kud$1 at samsara0.mindspring.com>
pkb <deannakatt at mindspring.com> wrote:
[. . .]

: I have heard in the past, that MegaCon is not friendy to local
: dealers.  They seem to be in the business for the money.

Duh.

Fan-run cons are well-known, are non-profit 501(3)(c) organizations, are
run by long running organizations, etc.  JMS should know this, but for
some reason he asserts that his test of their legitimacy is whether they
are organized enough to pay him a large fee.  He says, as I recall, that
the test of gathering a large sum of money tests their organization.  Or
somesuch.  I hope I have that wrong.  Testing for being a 501(c)(3)
organization of twenty year's standing is a lot easier, or at least, a
better test of being an actually provably responsible science fiction fan
organization.  I mean, those that last a decade or three earn a
reputation, after all.

I don't speak to comics cons, which are another order of business.

--
Copyright 1999 by Gary Farber; Web Researcher; Nonfiction Writer,
Fiction and Nonfiction Editor; gfarber at panix.com; B'klyn, NYC, US