JMS on CompuServe (Jan 29, 1999) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (2/5)

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Sat Jan 30 01:06:59 EST 1999

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #57819-Cross Stitch--Boom Today
    Sb: #GEnie
    Sb: #58648-GEnie
    Sb: #58691-GEnie
    Sb: #Rising Stars
    Sb: #58658-Rising Stars
    Sb: #55822-Beyond the End.
    Sb: #55829-jms - SiL - thanks
    Sb: #55893-Thanks
    Sb: #56281-#academic study
    Sb: #55084-#what would you say?
    Sb: #55927-Thank you ...
    Sb: #56068-Sleeping in Light
    Sb: #56002-jms - SiL - thanks
    Sb: #56016-The End
    Sb: #58570-#Psi Corps Book thanks
    Sb: #58687-#Psi Corps Book thanks
    Sb: #54950-Re: IMage Laserdisks
    Sb: #55127-#Re: IMage Laserdisks

 #: 58462 S2/Bab 5: General
    25-Jan-99  21:29:05
Sb: #GEnie
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I know this is the wrong service to ask on, but...does anybody know what
the heck happened to GEnie?  I've been trying for days to get on, via various
access numbers, and none of them seem to be working.

                                                                    jms

 #: 58648 S2/Bab 5: General
    27-Jan-99  13:23:11
Sb: #58462-#GEnie
Fm: PAUL WEDDELL

Hi JMS.,

Did I hear you're on Prodigy as well? They're dropping the "Classic" interface
and going for a web only one. Rumours about money and falling numbers.

  Paul
  Using Virtual Access
  GO VACCESS

 #: 58683 S2/Bab 5: General
    27-Jan-99  20:55:01
Sb: #58648-GEnie
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Never been on Prodigy.

                                                                    jms

 #: 58691 S2/Bab 5: General
    27-Jan-99  23:08:12
Sb: #58462-#GEnie
Fm: BILL DUGAN

It's still up and running. I just logged off GEnie and on CIS a few minutes
ago. The access number I was using was 310-834-0039, if that helps any. It's
probably not a local call for you, but it is in the Los Angeles area.

 #: 58814 S2/Bab 5: General
    28-Jan-99  22:26:08
Sb: #58691-GEnie
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The area code changed to 323, that's what threw me, thanks.

                                                                    jms

 #: 58574 S2/Bab 5: General
    26-Jan-99  20:28:11
Sb: #Rising Stars
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I just got back from a meeting at Top Cow (a division of Image), which
is publishing RISING STARS, a 24 issue miniseries I'm writing.  I've turned in
the preview issue, issue 0, 1 and 2...and they've decided to make this their
number one priority for this year.  Some copies of the preview script have
been leaked to a few places by TC, and the reaction has been enormous. A
number of comics retail chains are going to throw their weight behind it,
several magazines are planning major stories on it, there have already option
inquiries by studios...anyway, it's fun.  This is an arena I haven't played in
that much, and the reception that the material is getting is just nifty.

      For those who've inquired, here's more of the skinny: the preview issue,
and issue 0, will be published in March/April.  The former will be packaged
free with bagged copies of Wizard Magazine (it'll be the Top Cow issue).  It
really gives you a sense of the book, and where it's going.  So if you want to
check it out, I'd strongly suggest getting the preview book.

      The first actual issue appears on newsstands in June.  They want the two
months for heat to rise after folks see what's in the preview and the zero
issues.

      Basically, what I've tried is to do in the comics form what we did with
B5...and so far, it seems to be working.  A few reporters I've spoken to
who've seen the material think it may be the big event of the year in comics
(which is very flattering, but I'm always skeptical of such pronouncements;
only the readers can decide that).

      Anyway, for those who are B5 or comics fans and want to check it out,
them's the figures.  There may be shortages, I'm told, even though they're
going for a huge print run on issue 1 and the preview issue, so you may want
to place an order with your local comics store to hold 'em for you.

      The great thing, for me, is that even though we're doing this story for
adults, with a lot of hard hitting stuff, it's a) at heart, in the end, an
optimistic story, and b) though it has adult themes, and some elements that
may be controversial, they're handled in a way that parents shouldn't worry
about their kids seeing 'em, as B5 dealt with themes in such a way that they
crossed generational lines.

      Anyway, if you couldn't tell, I'm *real* proud of the book, and wanted
to pass that along.

                                                                    jms

 #: 58658 S2/Bab 5: General
    27-Jan-99  15:50:05
Sb: #58574-#Rising Stars
Fm: ANDREW S. TROTH

Joe,

	Thanks for the update. As both a reader and a retailer, I'm
tremendously excited about this series. I hope it continues to be a great
pleasure for you and that you'll do more comics projects in the future.

	Just to clarify one point for readers who aren't familiar with the ins
and outs of the comics industry: The specific title of the magazine with which
the RISING STARS preview issue will be shipping is WIZARD PRESENTS FATHOM &
THE NEW TOP COW UNIVERSE. It is not a regular, numbered issue of WIZARD, but a
standalone special.

	Also, sort of a public service announcement: Fans who are interested
in buying these comics should find their nearest comic book store *now* and
express that interest, because retailers are placing orders for the WIZARD
special and #0 even as I type. Call 1-888-COMICBOOK for a referral to the
nearest store. If your local comics retailer has no clue what these books are,
give him the following numbers and say you want one of each:

JAN990687	RISING STARS PREVIEW ED
JAN991034	WIZARD PRESENTS FATHOM & NEW TOP COW UNIVERSE

These are the codes needed to order these items from Diamond Comic
Distributors, Inc., which is the exclusive comics-market distributor for Image
Comics.

cheers,

Andrew Troth
Owner
The Mind's Eye Comics
Eagan, MN

 #: 58682 S2/Bab 5: General
    27-Jan-99  20:55:01
Sb: #58658-Rising Stars
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks for providing that; hopefully some kind soul will place that info
elsewhere, such as the newsgroups, so they won't get shorted when the things
hit.  Thanks again.

                                                                    jms

 #: 56457 S3/Bab 5:International
    06-Jan-99  13:59:00
Sb: #56281-#academic study
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's also a book of academic papers published in the UK based on an
academic conference on B5 last year.  It's called THE PARLIAMENT OF DREAMS,
published by Foundation.

                                                                    jms

   deals with how to produce an arc TV series. ]

 #: 55094 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    20-Dec-98  23:45:10
Sb: #55084-#what would you say?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I wouldn't even know where to begin....

                                                                    jms

 #: 56068 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    04-Jan-99  02:34:12
Sb: #Sleeping in Light
Fm: PAUL OWEN

Dear Joe

SiL was shown here in the UK as you probably know on New Years Day(last
Friday) and its taken me a few days to recover from the infinite sadness this
episode left behind.  There are very few films  never mind TV series which
ever move me like this did (the end of "The Remains of the Day"being one) The
scene in which Delenn dresses up for Sheridan for her final goodbye, the
sudden collapse of control as their final parting takes place was unbearably
heart wrenchingly sad, Delenn snuggling up to Sheridans pillow as he died with
Lorien, and suprisingly, the destruction of B5 itself absolutely killed me.
When that final scene arrived, hearing Ivanova's monologue in the background,
showing Delenn holding up her hand to the light as she remembers John, well,
by this time I could hardly see the screen for tears I was feeling such a
sense of loss, even though you knew he wasn't coming back, you wanted things
to be right for Delenn, that after everything she deserved some lasting
happiness.
I tried watching a DS9 ep over the weekend and it was like watching something
in black and white, there was just no interest, ah well It's been a superb
five years I I really don't know how I will find anything to replace it,  a
superb story beautifully acted and you should be proud of it. Thankyou to
everybody

Paul Owen

 #: 56124 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    04-Jan-99  13:36:13
Sb: #56068-Sleeping in Light
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thank you...it's a deeply moving episode for all of us.

                                                                    jms

 #: 56028 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    03-Jan-99  19:15:04
Sb: #56002-jms - SiL - thanks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, that was me...I couldn't do it before the very last ep for the
reasons I'd always stated, and because I was holding it out for this moment.
Of course I couldn't *say* that since it would give stuff away....

                                                                    jms

 #: 56029 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    03-Jan-99  19:15:04
Sb: #56016-The End
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and yeah, it was tough to do.

                                                                    jms

 #: 58582 S7/Babylon 5 Novels
    27-Jan-99  01:01:08
Sb: #58570-#Psi Corps Book thanks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, it's one of our best books to date...and the second one, which
features Bester throughout, is a total knock-out.  I'm very pleased with them.

                                                                    jms

 #: 58687 S7/Babylon 5 Novels
    27-Jan-99  21:47:11
Sb: #58582-#Psi Corps Book thanks
Fm: BRIAN MAKUCH

Any word on the release date for volume II?

-Brian

 #: 58815 S7/Babylon 5 Novels
    28-Jan-99  22:26:08
Sb: #58687-#Psi Corps Book thanks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It should be out literally at any time.

                                                                    jms

   is the original version or the new cut. ]

 #: 55095 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    20-Dec-98  23:45:11
Sb: #54950-Re: IMage Laserdisks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think it's the original....

                                                                    jms

 #: 55127 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    21-Dec-98  17:06:07
Sb: #54950-#Re: IMage Laserdisks
Fm: GRAHAM SMITH

>>I recently placed an order for the B5 Lasers from Image. Question: Is the
cut of "The Gathering" the original version or your re-mastered and re-edited
version shown on TNT this past year?<<

Sorry to contradict the Great Maker, but I just got a copy last week, and it
is the TNT version.

--Graham

 #: 55150 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    21-Dec-98  21:46:03
Sb: #55127-#Re: IMage Laserdisks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Sonuvagun...thanks for the info.  I'd better go look at the darned thing
myself.  I've watched "In the Beginning" on disk, and thought it looked
gorgeous...practically a luminous copy, struck from fresh masters.

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]