JMS, Shame on you (was Re: ATTN: JMS: Re: Off-topic from jms

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Feb 23 04:31:56 EST 2000

From: "Kurtz" <malkin at erols.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2000 02:06:00 -0700

 <<You know, it's funny that we all like to say we support freedom of speech
and
> differing opinions until someone actually *uses* same, at which point one
is
> pilloried for saying such things (though on the other hand it's enlivened
the
> conversation a bit).>>

I do support freedom of speech. As Yakov Smirnov used to say, I even
support freedom *after* speech. I don't care much for the behavior that
suggests that while everyone is entitled to their opinion, only *my*
opinion is the enlightened one. I think it tells MORE about a person
when they suggest that a special place in hell is reserved for someone
they don't like, or somewhat gleefully observing that Alzheimer's has
turned someone they don't like into a mental vegetable. You can't throw
stones willy-nilly and expect that someone might not throw them back.