JMS, Shame on you (was Re: ATTN: JMS: Re: Off-topic from jms

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Feb 24 04:22:04 EST 2000

From: Jonathan Biggar <jon at floorboard.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2000 17:55:20 -0700

Jms at B5 wrote:
> You know, it's funny that we all like to say we support freedom of speech and
> differing opinions until someone actually *uses* same, at which point one is
> pilloried for saying such things (though on the other hand it's enlivened the
> conversation a bit).

Sure, I support free speech, but when someone, even you, takes cheap
potshots at a man that can't even defend himself anymore, I'll call it
like I see it.

> I'm sorry, but I can have no soft spot in my heart for Reagan.  He's been a
> quisling ever since he was president of the Screen Actors Guild and cooperated
> gleefully with HUAC in rooting out all those supposed commies in the film biz.

And taking glee at the encroaching diminishment of a man who inspired
millions of Americans with a positive message of hope and responsibility
makes you better?

> He ran a heartless administration, which saw retreats in many necessary social
> areas, and created a meanspirited "me first" generation that gutted the heart
> of this country.  He allowed, even encouraged the closure of plants and the
> shifting of the very *heart* of this country's manufacturing basis to other
> countries because it was good for share holders, no matter how many people were
> thrown out of work after decades of loyal service.
>
> You want to talk mean and cruel, nothing I said here compares in the
> *slightest* with the tens of thousands of people who have suffered lost jobs
> and incomes and even lost lives because of the policies and programs he
> implemented.

As opposed to all of the people whose jobs were lost and lives damaged
due to the rampant inflation of the '70s?  Or the fact that the
government at the time thought it perfectly fair to take 90% of every
dollar off of the top of the "rich" in order to give it to people who
sit around on their butts and do nothing to help this country?

I think you are simply looking around and seeing human nature--that
there will always be greedy people and poor people--and sticking the
blame on a convenient target.

Now if you would show yourself to be just as critical about the serious
damage done to the rule of law by the current occupant of the white
house, then perhaps I wouldn't have lost quite as much respect for you.

--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software
jon at floorboard.com
jon at biggar.org

>Now if you would show yourself to be just as critical about the serious
>damage done to the rule of law by the current occupant of the white
>house, then perhaps I wouldn't have lost quite as much respect for you.

I'm sorry, I must have missed something, I thought there was an 8 year term
limit on Presidents.  Shouldn't we be spending our time addressing this one
rather than fighting the last one all over again?

(all message content (c) 2000 by
synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
to reprint specifically denied to
SFX Magazine)