ATTN JMS: was Re: Babylon 5 Shadow Vessel Resin Model Kit B5

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 30 04:33:08 EDT 2000

From: "Carl N. Hoff" <hoff at hfab1.sc.ti.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2000 09:45:39 -0600

Thanks for the reply.  I was guessing this was the case and I even assumed
that that is why eBay deleted the auction.  I wasn't interested in supporting
an unlicensed/unauthorized product, but I did think it looked nice and would
have emailed the seller for any other pictures he had, had the auction not
been deleted.  I don't know if you saw this particular auction or not but
it did look nice, much better then the many other "one of a kind" Shadow
ships.  I think it was also twice the size of most of the others that I've seen
on eBay.  If you're interested in the pictures that were used at the auction
itself, I'll be happy to email them to you.  I've even heard of an unlicensed/
unauthorized Starfurry resin kit that ended up on the show itself and there
is a rumor that its now in your possession so I guess there might be an interest.

This leads me to a question, not so much for my benefit, but maybe for those
that are actually making these kits.  I understand why they are getting made
and why they sometimes sell for incredibly high prices on eBay.  The simple
answer is there is a market for them, and that's just a testament to the fabulous
job you did with Babylon 5.  You can get all sorts of Star Wars and
Star Trek model kits, but many of the Babylon 5 ships just aren't available.
If one of these guys (or gals) that has made the molds for one of these resin
kits wanted to get it licensed/authorized what should he (she) do?  If you could
spell out the steps it would certainly be something that I'd forward to the
sellers of some of these kits that I see on eBay.

Again please don't take the above to say that I'd support any unlicensed/
unauthorized product.  I know you and WB sure deserve your share, and
wouldn't do anything to cheat you out of it, but I do like to collect pictures
of some of these products that I sure wish existed.  I must admit that I
think it'd be cool to have a Shadow Ship setting up on my book case, but
I'm happy to wait for an authorized one.  I'm sure my pocket book would
be happy too.

Regards,
Carl

P.S.  A while back I posted an email to say thank you for posting the
        Crusade scripts up at Bookface.  And I also asked if you'd ever
        consider putting your "V" script up there as well.  I know you
        posted the first act of it long ago, and many have been longing
        to see the rest of it since.  Did you see that post?  Is there anything
       currently going on with that script, or is there a reason why you
       wouldn't want to (or can't) put it up at Bookface?  Just curious.

Jms at B5 wrote:

> I should probably point out that this is, of course, a totally unlicensed and
> not authorized pirate item, and though these keep being advertised as "one of a
> kind," more such "one of a kinds" keep popping up on ebay....
>
>  jms
>
> (jmsatb5 at aol.com)
> B5 Official Fan Club at:
> http://www.thestation.com
> (all message content (c) 2000 by
> synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
> to reprint specifically denied to
> SFX Magazine)

>If one of these guys (or gals) that has made the molds for one of these resin
>kits wanted to get it licensed/authorized what should he (she) do?

It's been my experience that most don't want to, because that means letting go
of a percentage of their profits.

That aside...WB tends to make deals with larger companies, like factory-x (the
nifty massive pewter B5 stations available at factory-x.com), not individuals.