ATTN JMS: Opinion on Bush's Win?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Nov 10 04:49:36 EST 2000

From: Jonathan Biggar <jon at floorboard.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2000 18:37:13 -0700

Padguy wrote:

> >Then the correct time to register a complaint is BEFORE the
> >votes are in, not *after* an election whose outcome is not desired.
> >Somehow, the ballot was OK and fair until this mess occurred.
>
> To my mind, it's moot.  Whether it was approved by Democrats, Republicans, or
> the Man in the Moon, if it failed to adhere to the law, then it's wrong and
> should be set aside.
>
> Courts set aside rules of judges all the time, saying, "Nope...the law doesn't
> back you on this.  You screwed up."

This is based on bogus information.  People are claiming that the ballot
is illegal, since Florida law requires the name to be to the left of
where you mark your choice.  However, this claim is missing an important
piece of information: the law they quoted is for *PAPER* ballots.  There
is a separate section of the law in Florida for ballots used in voting
machines, and it has no such requirement.

Thus, any claim that the ballot is illegal by Florida law is invalid.

--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software
jon at floorboard.com
jon at biggar.org

>This is based on bogus information.  People are claiming that the ballot
>is illegal, since Florida law requires the name to be to the left of
>where you mark your choice.  However, this claim is missing an important
>piece of information: the law they quoted is for *PAPER* ballots.  There
>is a separate section of the law in Florida for ballots used in voting
>machines, and it has no such requirement.
>
>Thus, any claim that the ballot is illegal by Florida law is invalid.

First, isn't that better for a judge to decide?

Second...in every state it IS required that on the ballot, the two major
parties go first, then the other candidates in order of size.  In the Florida
case, Buchanan was above Gore in many cases, so anybody looking for the number
2 slot would punch Buchanan, who HIMSELF said he didn't think most of those
voters in that area were voting for him.

(all message content (c) 2000 by
synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
to reprint specifically denied to
SFX Magazine)