ATTN JMS: Opinion on Bush's Win?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Nov 10 06:24:48 EST 2000

From: "Mac Breck" <macbreck at access995.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2000 22:32:06 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jms at B5" <jmsatb5 at aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: ATTN JMS: Opinion on Bush's Win?

> >Seems a lot of Democrats are too dumb to figure out how to fill out a
> >ballot.  I know it's tough with the arrows pointing to the proper
> >hole and all.
>
> Except of course that:
>
> 1) Most of the people in that area are older retired citizens, who need a
> little help...

So, they can ask for help.  If the first person doesn't know, ask the
second, etc.

> 2) The order (Bush, Buchanan, Gore) in order on the ballot is not in
keeping
> with state law...

See elsewhere in this thread.  It's not in keeping with the law for paper
ballot s(i.e. pencil & paper ballots), *not* machine punched paper ballots.
For machine punched paper ballots the punch can be before *or* after the
name, hence the vertical alignment was OK by Florida law.

> 3) That 19,000 votes in this county were tossed out this year, and 15,000
in
> 1996, means it must be a hell of a lot more misleading than it seems....

NO.  There was greater turnout this year, hence the increase.

> and:
>
> 4) Even stupid people get to vote, and can raise a concern if the vote is
> cockeyed or disenfranchising.  Heck, stupid people even get to run for
> president in this country...

and after you vote, if you made a mistake and the card has gone into the
ballot box, there is no turning back.  It's done.  Voter screwed up.
Period.

Mac

>  jms
>
> (jmsatb5 at aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2000 by
> synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
> to reprint specifically denied to
> SFX Magazine)

>> 1) Most of the people in that area are older retired citizens, who need a
>> little help...
>
>So, they can ask for help.  If the first person doesn't know, ask the
>second, etc.

Except that a) they were given only 5 minutes, and b) help in the form of
friends or translators wasn't allowed.

>> 2) The order (Bush, Buchanan, Gore) in order on the ballot is not in
>keeping
>> with state law...
>
>See elsewhere in this thread.  It's not in keeping with the law for paper
>ballot s(i.e. pencil & paper ballots), *not* machine punched paper ballots.
>For machine punched paper ballots the punch can be before *or* after the
>name, hence the vertical alignment was OK by Florida law.

I'm not talking about where the punch.  I'm talking about the *order of the
candidates names*.  Buchanan should have been lower than Gore, not above, by
law.

>and after you vote, if you made a mistake and the card has gone into the
>ballot box, there is no turning back.  It's done.  Voter screwed up.
>Period.

And if it were an evenly-distributed error, then I'd agree.  But when it's
concentrated in one county, which is primarily populated by people who might
vote against the governor's brother...then that's a bit different...and makes
one ask, did they fall or were they pushed?

I'd like that question answered, one way or another.