[B5JMS] from jms: a few quick items

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Feb 16 04:32:45 EST 2001

From: Herranen Henrik <leopold at assari.cc.tut.fi>
Date: 15 Feb 2001 15:22:40 -0700

jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5) writes:
> And finally...yes, it's true, B5 will be coming out on DVD starting with The
> Gathering and In the Beginning, to be released in July.  The series will start
> soon thereafter.  I've been going over the artwork and related issues for WB
> Home Video, and though at this time there's no supplementary material involved,
> at least as far as I know, it should be pretty cool.  (Don't know yet which
> aspect ratio they'll be using, but my *guess* would be widescreen, now that WB
> is correcting the earlier versions.)

I hope this information is at least partly wrong. If it is not,
then I will not buy the DVD, and instead be happy to already own
The Gathering Special Edition on Laserdisc in its correct 4:3
full-screen format.

And before anyone flames me: The Gathering was shot in 4:3 as
opposed to the rest of the series. Thus, a "widescreen" version
would have to either be a cropped or vertically panned & scanned
version, and this would be far from the show's correct aspect
ratio. There has never been any indication that The Gathering
was meant to be soft-matted to 16:9. The use of vertical screen
area as well as JMS's own words indicate that the show was always
intended to be 4:3.

Hope _this time_ things can be cleared _before_ they go wrong.

Regards,
	- Henrik

--
Hoh hoijaa taas kerran.

>And before anyone flames me: The Gathering was shot in 4:3 as
>opposed to the rest of the series. Thus, a "widescreen" version
>would have to either be a cropped or vertically panned & scanned
>version, and this would be far from the show's correct aspect
>ratio.

No, the DVD of the Gathering would not be in fake wide, it'd be in the original
aspect ratio.  As I noted earlier, the way SFC aired it was an error.