[B5JMS] Attn JMS: taste; was: various bounced replies from jms

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Feb 28 04:22:42 EST 2001

From: "M.E.Tonkin" <met314 at erols.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2001 05:17:44 -0700

Jms at B5 wrote:

> > Now THAT's unfair.  Christian authors writing for Christian readers are
> >> under no obligation to start off each and ever oeuvre with an apologia
> >> for the sake of non-Christian readers.
>
> Except, of course, that much of his stuff is marketed as straight-ahead fiction
> or speculative fiction, such as Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That
> Hideous Strength and Till We Have Faces.  I don't see The Lion, the Witch, and
> the Wardrobe being sold in stores as specifically Christian literature.  It's
> in the fiction section along with everything else.  So the premise that he's
> writing only for Christian readers seems a little false to me.

So, you're saying that Milton's *Paradise Lost* should be shelved in the
Christian
section of the bookstore, rather than in poetry or classics?  How about
Graham Greene's *The End of the Affair*, or Susan Howatch's "Starbridge" novels,
or Gail Godwin's *Evensong*, or the popular novels and mysteries by Andrew
Greeley?

MET