[B5JMS] Apology Re: LOL at JMS' comments on ASM #36

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Feb 21 04:42:06 EST 2002

From: "Justice" <justice_gray at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 01:20:02 -0700

I just wanted to say I apologize if anything I quoted from the interview led
to any misconceptions on anyone's part as to the entirety of what JMS was
saying.  While I did find his quote funny and agreed with it, it is more
than true that starting this whole thread by quoting only two paragraphs I
could have (and did, but I did not do so intentionally, trust me) severely
misconstrued JMS' comments to the newsgroup at large.  For that I totally
apologize and will do my best not to fly off half-cocked in the future.

-Justice

"Jms at B5" <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20020105202638.01115.00002314 at mb-mk.aol.com...
> In the interests of accuracy, let's set a few things straight here, shall
we?

> Fueled by a handful of hysterics whose own oxes were being gored, the
> statements that I made in the Newsarama interview have been reinterpreted
and
> paraphrased to sound as if I was casting aspersions on people who didn't
think
> Magneto or Doom should be there.  Or that I was confusing the Marvel
universe
> with the real universe.
>
> Let's look at what I *actually* said, shall we?  Not that the facts ever
seem
> to make a difference, and surely won't in this case to those who wish to
screed
> on, but just for the sake of argument...as they say in court, let's look
at the
> record.
>
> This is the verbatim quote of what I said in the Newsarama interview:
>
> " JMS: A number of the comments I saw were along the lines of, "Well, Doom
and
> Magneto and the Sentinels and Galactus and others have done a lot more
damage
> to New York City than was done on September 11th, so I don't buy that
they'd
> make a big fuss."To which I say: move out of your mom's basement. One's a
> fictional situation; the other is a real one. If you cannot perceive the
> distinction, stop reading. And for god's sake stop breeding.
>
> "To the specifics of Doom and Magneto being there and being upset..."
>
> Note that there are two different paragraphs there.  Note that there are
two
> WHOLLY DIFFERENT SUBJECTS being addressed.  Subject 2 is the issue of Doom
and
> Magneto being there.
>
> Subject 1 refers to the posters who said that "the Sentinels and Galactus
and
> others have done a lot more damage to New York City than was done on
September
> 11th, so I don't buy that they'd make a big fuss."  (They in this case
> referring to Marvel and characters in the Marvel universe.)
>
> There were any number of such comments, some of which were forwarded to me
from
> the comicboards.com system.  We're talking here people who, having seen
NYC
> devastated in A FICTIONAL COMIC BOOK UNIVERSE couldn't understand why we,
or
> the characters, or Marvel, should make a big fuss about 3,000 REAL LIFE
PEOPLE
> BEING KILLED in NYC.
>
> Ponder for a moment the dunderheadedness of that comment.  The coldness of
it,
> the insularity and single-mindedness of it.
>
> I repeated that comment, sometimes read verbatim, to reporters who
interviewed
> me from the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR and others.  To a person
they
> were dismayed and appalled that a small portion of fans could even think
that
> way, to dismiss or minimize something as massive as 9/11 because it had
been
> done worse before by Galactus in a comic.
>
> It was that particular mindset, the kinds of people who would say and
think
> that, to whom my comments were specifically intended.  The issue of
> Doom/Magneto being there was a whole separate thread.
>
> Do you agree with the sentiment expressed by these individuals, as
described
> above, as specifically noted in the article?  That a fuss shouldn't be
made
> over 9/11 because worse has happened before in the fictional NY?  If not,
then
> it wasn't addressed to you.  It has nothing to DO with you or the majority
of
> fandom.  We're talking about the ten percentile who are socially
dysfunctional
> and can't themselves distinguish between the priorities of the real world
and
> comics...the sort who give all of fandom (in which ranks I include myself)
> bad name.
>
> I invested two lines out of a multi-page interivew on these individuals.
Which
> those same few whackos have termed defensiveness.  On the same board, they
have
> spent pages and pages of the most defensive invective now that THEY are
the
> ones under discussion.  If we measure defensiveness by the linguistic
pound, we
> have two sentences on one side, and pages and pages on the other.  You do
the
> math.
>
> See, that's the one thing I've learned about the nets, and especially some
> groups of online fans (the same 10% or so).  It's absolutely okay for any
of
> them to say anything they want about you or anybody else.  That's fine by
their
> lights.  And I've seen some of the most vicious, mean-spirited, hateful
> messages on record addressed to or about comics pros on some of these
systems.
> But the moment you so much as utter one word in response...they go totally
> bugfuck.  "How dare he!  He's attacking fandom!  He's being defensive!
Look at
> his inappropriate behavior!"  I note by handles that quite a few of those
> who've been the most strenuous in this behavior are exactly the ones who
made
> the original comment I was addressing in the first place.  They like to go
> after somebody else, but when its their oxen being gored...well, by god,
that's
> different.
>
> They want to be able to say anything they want, but if you reply, if you
> counter their bile with anything as inconvenient as, oh, say the facts, or
even
> an admittedly easy shot...that's wrong somehow.  They don't want a level
> playing field.  They want to step into the metaphorical ring with you only
on
> the condition that your hands are tied behind your back.  They can hit
you, but
> you can't hit them back.  Wrong, and wrong.
>
> If you dare to respond, they wrap themselves in the cloak of fandom the
way
> some peopel wrap themselves in the flag, as if by attacking one you are
> attacking the other.  Which is utter nonsense designed to try and get
other
> people riled up about something that had nothing to do with them.
>
> I stand by what I said about those individuals who posted the kind of
remark my
> observation was discussing.  Which relates only to those people.  Again,
it has
> NOTHING to do with the latter point, which was simply and plainly dealt
with.
> People can agree or disagree with that to their heart's content, I'm fine
with
> that.  But don't confuse the two issues.
>
> (And on a different thread...when I said show me one human who could
support
> the random killing of thousands of buffalo, or thousands of humans, just
out of
> hatred, I was referring to rational human beings.  Obviously people like
Bin

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 06 Jan 2002 08:28:14 GMT

>I just wanted to say I apologize if anything I quoted from the interview led
>to any misconceptions on anyone's part as to the entirety of what JMS was
>saying.  While I did find his quote funny and agreed with it, it is more
>than true that starting this whole thread by quoting only two paragraphs I
>could have (and did, but I did not do so intentionally, trust me) severely
>misconstrued JMS' comments to the newsgroup at large.

Ehh...these things happen, don't worry about it.

>For that I totally
>apologize and will do my best not to fly off half-cocked in the future.

First guy to make a circumcision joke gets it in the neck.