[B5JMS] LOTR and ships

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 22 04:23:01 EST 2002

From: Mike Ross <abaddon at attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 01:15:53 GMT

On 21 Jan 2002 07:31:33 GMT, jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:
<spoiler space inserted>

<enough>?

<yep>
>>What was with the Valen--not only was it ugly, it didn't even look
>>Minbari.
>
>As Dulann mentioned in his talk with David in the hall, it was influenced by
>human military designers.  David also made fun of it earlier.

Did you have any second thoughts about naming that ship? Or am I the
only one who thought it odd? If I had to guess I'd have said the
Minbari revered Valen far too much to name a mere ship after him, most
especially an ugly one with heavy human influence...

>>And where were the White Stars anyway?
>
>The 80 or so surviving whitestars were either on station at Minbar or doing
>larger more important work.  This was considered a milk run.

I had a problem with the 'only a milk run' concept from the very
start... a shipload of diplomats (were they really diplomats? They
sure as hell behaved like diplomats!) is sent, on an untried ship of
dubious design, to investigate some ruins which are believed to be
connected to a highly dangerous new/old race and they send the
*Liandra* as the only escort? OK fair enough keep the thing low
profile... but have a couple of fleets of Sharlins/Whitestars on
standby one jump away, ready to move at the slightest hint of trouble,
as it shouldn't be a *total* surprise if something untoward occurs...

I'm not dissing the movie in general BTW...

Mike

> jms
>
>(jmsatb5 at aol.com)
>(all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
>permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
>and don't send me story ideas)

http://www.corestore.org
Rangers Catering Corps - 'we boil for the One, we fry for the One'

>Did you have any second thoughts about naming that ship? Or am I the
>only one who thought it odd? If I had to guess I'd have said the
>Minbari revered Valen far too much to name a mere ship after him, most
>especially an ugly one with heavy human influence...

It was kind of an in-joke by some on the Grey Council when they named it.  The
ship is a compromised crossbreed between human (the front) and minbari (the
rest) design styles.

And what was Valen, after all, but half human and half minbari...?