[B5JMS] LOTR and ships

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 22 04:23:05 EST 2002

From: Mike Ross <abaddon at attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 02:28:22 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 01:36:43 GMT, Aisling Willow Grey
<aisling at fjordstone.com> wrote:

> >>Mike Ross wrote:
>
>> On 21 Jan 2002 07:31:33 GMT, jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:
>> <spoiler space inserted>

>> <enough>?
>>

>> <yep>

>>>As Dulann mentioned in his talk with David in the hall, it was influenced by
>>>human military designers.  David also made fun of it earlier.
>>>

>> Did you have any second thoughts about naming that ship? Or am I the
>> only one who thought it odd? If I had to guess I'd have said the
>> Minbari revered Valen far too much to name a mere ship after him, most
>> especially an ugly one with heavy human influence...<<
>

>Actually (and despite my earlier complaints that they would name
>something _so_ ugly after him!), this makes perfect sense to me, given
>what the highest muckety-mucks in the Ranger hierarchy know about Valen.
>  Valen himself was of mixed Minbari/Human design, after all.

Hmmm I thought of that myself... but that would only make sense if the
truth about Valen were now public knowledge on Minbar... and given
Minbari attitudes about 'need to know', and the explosive sensitivity
of this particular tidbit, I'm assuming that info has *not* been
disclosed at this time.

The other point, which I already mentioned in another thread, is that
it seems totally contrary to (my conceptions of) Minbari attitudes to
name *anything* destructible after Valen - picture the announcer on
Minbari evening news saying that '(the) Valen has been blown to
bits'... or perhaps they would just say 'lost'...

Mike
http://www.corestore.org
Rangers Catering Corps - 'we boil for the One, we fry for the One'

>The other point, which I already mentioned in another thread, is that
>it seems totally contrary to (my conceptions of) Minbari attitudes to
>name *anything* destructible after Valen

The worker caste has always been a puckish lot.