[B5JMS] ATTN JMS: Are you a millionaire ?

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jul 17 04:24:14 EDT 2002

From: "Travers Naran" <tnaran at direct.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:51:15 GMT

Jms at B5 <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote:
>>A side thought.  Jeremiah is being made in Canada.  At what point does
>>JMS have to start paying Canadian Income Tax?

> I was able to get a waiver on LoTR because it was a short-term engagement, but
> on Jeremiah I've been paying Canadian taxes (as well as American taxes) since
> day one.

> Even so, my Canadian tax burden is still far less than the average Canadian has
> to shell out every year, percentage-wise.  Though I'm still somewhat of a
> newcomer, my feeling is that, frankly, the Canadian people are getting hosed.
> I understand the dilemma of having a very large country and a very small
> population that has to support that infrastructure, but even so they're just
> getting hammered out of all proportion and reasonableness.

Don't forget we have more of a more generous social infrastructure, but
nowhere near enough big profitable corporations to support it.  Still,
we like to think at least we're better off than the Finnish. :-)

Travers Naran                            | Visit the SFTV Science Blunders
F/T Programmer,P/T Meddler In Time&Space | Hall of Infamy!
New Westminster, British Columbia,       |
  Canada, Earth, Milky Way, etc.         | <www.geocities.com/naran500/>
"Stand Back! I'm a programmer!"          | ** UPDATED  9-Apr-2002 **