[B5JMS] ATTN Jms: The original B5 story ?

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Jul 28 04:23:55 EDT 2002

From: PsicopJeffG at webtv.net (Jeffrey Gustafson)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:19:03 -0400 (EDT)

>My question was (If it has been asked to death,
>I apoligise):

Oh, it has.

>I know the B5 story didn't go as you originally
>planned (sinclair leaving after the first season,
>the uncertainty about a 5th season, etc...). Now
>I was wondering if that original story is/was
>published anywhere, and if not, why not ? If so,
>where ?

Do a google groups search for here on "original arc" and/or "original
story."  You can probably skim some of the general idea.  The so-called
"original story" and the one we saw, according to JMS, was essentially
the same, (he's said that 90% of what he set out to do, he did).  And
looking at the possibilities, it really is the same.

>I have several B5 paperbacks (psycore trylogie,
>mollari trylogie, a.o.), but there are no
>paperbacks about the original story. Why not ?

The better question is why?  Yes the story diverged a little, but every
single story that has ever been written has diverged from the original
plan.  Why dwell on what could have been, just enjoy what was.  What
would be the purpose of publishing all the could-have-beens and
might-have-beens, anyway?  They might provide insight into the evolution
of the story, but it really is frankly irrelevant.  As for B5, like I
said, the info *is* out there, and really isn't *that* different from
what we saw.

     -The Jeff

Sheridan:"So how did you find out all of this?"
Bester:"I'm a telepath.  Work it out." <*>