[B5JMS] JMS: Midnight Nation

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jun 26 04:23:31 EDT 2002

From: PsicopJeffG at webtv.net (Jeffrey Gustafson)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:33:37 -0400 (EDT)

Midnight Nation is your greatest work.  Well, so far, anyway.

It may be unfair to compare MN to Babylon 5 (the only other thing that
comes close); it really is apples and oranges, two utterly different
monsters, and not just because of the different media that each was
published in.  But looking at the two stories, each *as a whole,*
Midnight Nation soars above just about everything that I have ever read
or seen... B5 included.

It is a triumph of words and art; an utterly flawless story.All the
elements are important, yet it doesn't smack of import; the story adds
up and the ending, while it has it's surprises, is not surprising for
the sake thereof.  The ending really is beautiful and satisfying.
Midnight Nation is Perfect.

You wrote (or said) a couple of years ago that you will not reach your
prime for at least "10 years."  Reading that, then, it was hard to
imagine that you could ever top B5.  I was thinking in terms of the
majesty of the B5 story... Even with all it's flaws what could top it?
And in short order you gave us Midnight Nation. It's such a simple
story, yet it says so much. There were far too many bits that hit far
too close to home... not because I can relate to a specific part, but
because the humanity of the story makes it so.  There was sooo much to
this story that made it better than the rest.  Now I find it hard to
imagine what could top this...

It's cliche, but words cannot describe how much I have enjoyed MN or how
good it truly is...  So I digress.

You wrote:

>There have been some inquiries about
>optioning MN, but I've deliberately held off
>listening to anything until the story was
>complete.

As I read MN I kinda wondered to myself how it can be done... Can you
have something on a network and still retain it's adult edginess and
intelligence?  Can you make a feature that includes all the wonderful
"side" stories that really amplify the story?  Is it viable (or even
possible) to make a multi-part premium cable mini-series?  Ideally, it
would be a cable series, 12 or 13 episodes, etc.  But that's a stretch.
But then again I don't see it as a stretch to rewrite the whole shebang
so that it fits into a more accessible form without loosing a thing.
Anything is possible.  This would be a "wait and see" situation.  And
even if there isn't a moving picture form of Midnight Nation, while it
wouldn't hurt as more people would probably be exposed to the story, the
comics are good enough to stand on their own.  They are truly great, and
to repeat something you've read a thousand times... Thanks, Joe.

Enough gushing, back to lurking...

     -The Jeff

Sheridan:"So how did you find out all of this?"
Bester:"I'm a telepath.  Work it out." <*>