[B5JMS] And So It Begins...

b5jms at lists.cs.columbia.edu b5jms at lists.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 8 04:24:58 EDT 2003

From: kurtullman at yahoo.com (Kurt Ullman)
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:29:38 GMT

In article <20030402175630.23108.00000619 at mb-fh.aol.com>, jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms
at B5) wrote:

>So in other words, one should not seek to criticize the government until and
>unless it personally comes to knock on *your* door?  That is *has* happened to
>others is, in your mind, irrelevant...as long as you and I are okay, screw
>everybody else and just shut up, right?
>
>Sorry, I was raised in an America that said we have to watch out for each
>*other*, not just ourselves.

    I was also raised in an America that said freedom of speech also included
being able to say someone else's speech was wrong. There is a circularness to
freedom of speech that is often missed by people on opposing sides of the
issue. If you are going to say something, I have every right to say that what
you said is outrageous, if I feel that way. So, we should criticize the gov't
whenever we feel the need, but we should also allow those who would criticize
us THEIR free reign as well.

	"To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most WANT
to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it. Anyone who is capable
of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
	-Doug Adams _The Restaurant at The End of The Universe_

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 07 Apr 2003 06:13:09 GMT

>I was also raised in an America that said freedom of speech also included
>being able to say someone else's speech was wrong. There is a circularness to
>freedom of speech that is often missed by people on opposing sides of the
>issue. If you are going to say something, I have every right to say that what
>you said is outrageous, if I feel that way. So, we should criticize the gov't
>whenever we feel the need, but we should also allow those who would criticize
>us THEIR free reign as well.

Which is a perfectly valid point, and a fine speech, it just has nothing to do
with what I was saying because I never said anything otherwise.  I was
disagreeing with you.  At no time did I say you weren't allowed to say certain
things.  I said they were *wrong*, but you are free to be wrong to your vocal
heart's content.