[B5JMS] And So It Begins...

b5jms at lists.cs.columbia.edu b5jms at lists.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 8 04:24:54 EDT 2003

From: Cameron Tidwell <jct34 at cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 03:08:05 GMT

Kurt Ullman wrote:
> In article <HzJia.1578$J8.1451 at twister.nyroc.rr.com>, Cameron Tidwell
> <jct34 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>

>>Almost. Bush considered rescinding the rule but didn't. Now, here's
>>where my memory goes fuzzy.  He decided he wouldn't need to rescind
>>them.  (The executive orders are 11905 and 12306).  Anyway,
>>assassination isn't really defined in those orders.
>
>     Legally what one executive orders another can rescind. These are not set
> in stone as a law would be (at least from the changing it

That's right.  Bush could have repealed 11905 and 12306, but he didn't.
  So why look for a loophold like he did?  Probably because he thought
repealing the assassination EO would earn him some heat that he didn't
want.  Since, I'm posting again, let me clarify my last post and its
relation to JMS's comment.  So, yeah, I claim the EO's weren't repealed.
  But I agree with JMS that Bush would have no problem assassinating
someone--Bush just wouldn't call it that.  He would say the killing of a
combatant (and Bush I guess considers anyone affiliated with
terrorism--and he's assuming Hussein is--a combatant whether there is a
war or not) is not assassination.  So instead of repealing the EO's,
Bush decided to endorse a really broad interpretation of 'enemy
combatant'.  This allows him to for all intents and purposes assassinate
people while not claiming to be doing such.

Of course, now, even if we reject the looseness of Bush's definition of
'enemy combatant', Bush attempting to kill Saddam isn't going to count
as assassination (at least not any attempts that took place after the
war had begun).  Since the US is now at war, I don't know of anyone who
wouldn't count the top guy in the Iraqi military (Saddam Hussein) as an
enemy combatant.  This doesn't address justification.  This just
addresses what counts as assassination.  Obviously an unjust war can't
be justification for killing a enemy combatant like Hussein.  That
unjust war would though prevent it--in everyone's eyes just about--from
counting as assassination.  I haven't said here whether the war is just
or whether killing a leader outside the context of a war can be
justified.  That's a different topic.

Rather than anticipate all misinterpretations that could come up, I'll
just conclude with a disclaimer as I've been accused of being pro-war
before: I'm anti-war, and I don't like the loose definition of
combatants.  I also don't like the phrase "war on terrorism".