[B5JMS] Writer's you simply can't stand

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Aug 3 04:34:57 EDT 2003

From: Felicia Harmon <feliciaharmon at hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 03:18:55 -0400

Jms at B5 wrote:

> >>Well, Straczynski is *vastly* over-rated.  Can't stand his stuff.  Don't
> >know
> >>why anyone reads it.  Total crap.
> >
> >This is the extent of your criticism?  Do you have anything more intelligent
> >back up your opinion?  Any examples?
>
> Oh, lord, where does one *begin*?  Hell, the first season of B5 was full of
> ponderous foundation-laying that just went on and on and on until you wanted to
> stick a fork in your own eye just to stop it...a thousand years ago this, a
> thousand years ago that, blah blah blah end of the known universe and do you
> fasten or zip?
>
> And as for Spidey...I recently counted and he used the word "the" 427 times in
> a single issue.  427?!  What, he couldn't find any GOOD words to take up that
> space?  Is he being paid by the word or the thought?
>
> I'm just appalled...appalled, I say.
>
>  jms
>
> (jmsatb5 at aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2003 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

Not to mention he repeats himself terribly, the extent of his storytelling being
'Peter has student being hassled drug dealer who turns out to be the Lizard.' And
don't get me started on nudging his Hebrew vocabulary into anything he writes. And
he has the gall to write Spider-Man with a sense of humor. Since when is Spidey
about a sense of humor? Haven't we all learned from Venom and Carnage that gritty
psychopaths are what sell?

Of course this doesn't even begin to measure up to the sadistic details of his
personal life, the horrid experiments he conducts to crossbreed bats with monkeys.

But I digress...

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 02 Aug 2003 09:09:40 GMT

>Of course this doesn't even begin to measure up to the sadistic details of
>his
>personal life, the horrid experiments he conducts to crossbreed bats with
>monkeys.

And ever since busting out of the cage you've never *once* called to say
hello....