[B5JMS] And So It Begins...

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Tue May 27 04:24:28 EDT 2003

From: Brian Reed <bcreed at nctimes.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 20:29:15 -0700

Mena Ryan wrote:

> Brian Reed wrote:
> >
> > I use the term organization in terms of their own professed political beliefs. They
> > hate George Bush and will write and say anything to deride him and the current
> > administration. They claim to write unbiased and only fact based stories yet their
> > stories show a considerable bias against the US and GW Bush.
>
> Aren't you generalizing things just a little bit?  Can an entire staff
> of anything agree on an issue?  This would be like me saying that the
> Wall Street Journal is pro-Bush just based on this article:
> http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110003472
> Sorry but the whole "liberal media" thing is propaganda that too many
> people are buying without a second source.  It's also fairly lame...
> --

I may be generalizing a bit but when a poll showed that over 90% of News "journalists"
voted for Bill Clinton then I think that their political bias would certainly seep into
their writings.  A good example I found was in college courses in English and
Environmental studies I took at SDSU, the Professors clearly showed a liberal bent. As a
conservative I had to parrot their ideas when writing essays or papers to get good
grades. The one time I chose to extoll a different opinion on the Death penalty resulted
in a lower grade for the paper and an unresolvable impasse where I refused to go along
with the Professors stand. This is why I majored in Science where there are usually
absolute answers to questions like 1+1=2.

The Wall Street Journal tends to take a balanced approach and both praises and criticizes
the President when appropriate. The NY Times has demonstrated no such balance.

BCR/Binky

>I may be generalizing a bit but when a poll showed that over 90% of News
>"journalists"
>voted for Bill Clinton

Cite your source, please.