[B5JMS] Amazing Spider-Man #510 (SPOILER SPACE--BIG REVELATION)

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Aug 7 03:17:12 EDT 2004

From: Paul O'Brien <paul at SPAMBLOCK.esoterica.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:32:54 +0100

In message <Xns953CD023F998NukeMarine at 68.6.19.6>, The Nuclear Marine
<Nuke-Marine at cox.net> writes
>Basicly, most talk in this thread is presuming more than AMS 510 has
>told.

It would be jumping to conclusions to assume that they actually WERE
Peter's kids, but I think it's plainly obvious that this is what readers
are being invited to think.  Personally, I think it's misdirection.  But
for the misdirection to work, it ALSO has to be something that could
plausibly be true.

If the timeline problem turns out not to be a problem because they
aren't his kids at all, for example, then that alone wouldn't be good
enough for me.  Because the plot is proceeding on the basis that the
idea of Peter being their father is PLAUSIBLE.  If it's manifestly
implausible on timeline grounds to readers, then logically it should be
likewise implausible to the characters, and they should react
accordingly.

--
Paul O'Brien

THE X-AXIS - http://www.thexaxis.com
ARTICLE 10 - http://www.ninthart.com
LIVEJOURNAL - http://www.livejournal.com/~paulobrien

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 06 Aug 2004 20:21:01 GMT

>If the timeline problem turns out not to be a problem because they
>aren't his kids at all, for example, then that alone wouldn't be good
>enough for me.  Because the plot is proceeding on the basis that the
>idea of Peter being their father is PLAUSIBLE.  If it's manifestly
>implausible on timeline grounds to readers, then logically it should be
>likewise implausible to the characters, and they should react
>accordingly.

So let me see if I've got this straight...you can accept a universe inhabited
by guys with spider powers, Norse gods, an ageless super soldier, a wasp woman,
shape changers, a big green guy, and you don't think that there could be a
plausible explanation for kids being of an unusual age.

Got it.

See, all you really had to do was explain it reasonably, and I'm there.