[B5JMS] Amazing Spider-Man #510 (SPOILER SPACE--BIG REVELATION)

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Aug 7 03:17:17 EDT 2004

From: "Marc-Oliver Frisch" <Derschwarm at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:05:13 +0200

Jms at B5 wrote:

: >The point is that there is no reason for
: >readers to give the benefit of the doubt to you on this point when (for
: >entirely sound reasons) they wouldn't give it to any other writer on the
: >Spider-Man titles.
:
: So there is no distinction in your mind between writers?  They are all the
: same?  They should all be treated in exactly the same manner?  Do you think
: they are all working in lockstep, with no qualitative differences or
: distinctions?

That's very dramatic, but maybe Paul's point is simply that such mistakes have
been made (maybe recently) by writers with similar or better track records than
yours (some of them maybe working on the Spider-Man titles), so it doesn't seem
unreasonable for readers to be skeptical whether the case at hand is indeed
conscious misdirection on your part, and not another goof.

--
Marc-Oliver Frisch
POPP'D! >> http://poppd.blogspot.com/

"Lucky for us some idiot thought it would be a great idea to protect the melting
ice caps by coating them with Europe's dark chocolate surplus."
 -- Morrison, Seaguy

--
[This is a Usenet message, posted to the rec.arts.comics.* groups.]

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 06 Aug 2004 20:24:40 GMT

>That's very dramatic, but maybe Paul's point is simply that such mistakes
>have
>been made (maybe recently) by writers with similar or better track records
>than
>yours (some of them maybe working on the Spider-Man titles), so it doesn't
>seem
>unreasonable for readers to be skeptical whether the case at hand is indeed
>conscious misdirection on your part, and not another goof.

Which is why it seems to me the most productive thing is to wait and see what
it is before deriding the book for what it isn't, which a lot of people were
doing.  It would be as wrong headed to praise the book for what it might be as
it would be to diss the book for what it might be...speculate on what it might
be, sure, that's half the fun...but let it run its course before making
declarations about what it is.