[B5JMS] Amazing Spider-Man #510 (SPOILER SPACE--BIG REVELATION)

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 16 03:17:31 EDT 2004

From: arromdee at green.rahul.net (Ken Arromdee)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:47:39 +0000 (UTC)

In article <20040815172248.20060.00000982 at mb-m25.aol.com>,
Jms at B5 <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote:
>>"These are Gwen's kids" is a conclusion or guess too.  What happened to Peter
>>is that he got a letter and he was attacked.  "These are Gwen's kids" is
>>a guess as to why that happened to him, just as "there's a key-stealing
>>ferret around" is a guess as to why I can't find my keys.
>Except, of course, that the letter he received, which he does know is in her
>handwriting, and was written by her, mentions specifically that she was
>pregnant and gave birth to two children, Gabriel and Sarah, and we know those
>are the names of the two who attacked Peter.

The letter says "I have two children".  It also says the words "Gabriel and
Sarah" a couple of lines down.

The letter does *not* say "I have two children, who are Gabriel and Sarah".
If Peter reads the letter and decides that Gwen's two children are Gabriel
and Sarah, he's not just reading the letter; he's drawing a conclusion.
Making a guess.

And that's just not a conclusion he'd make.
--
       Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright
brothers.  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." --Carl Sagan

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 16 Aug 2004 01:41:12 GMT

>The letter does *not* say "I have two children, who are Gabriel and Sarah".
>If Peter reads the letter and decides that Gwen's two children are Gabriel
>and Sarah, he's not just reading the letter; he's drawing a conclusion.
>Making a guess.

But my POINT is that this IS a possibility given how it reads, and that your
suggestion that ferrets could be involved is absurd because they are NOT any
kind of possibility.  The letter COULD be saying they're her kids, that's
certainly one implication, and they might NOT be her kids, another implication.
 So you investigate both POSSIBILITIES and then based on that investigation you
come to a conclusion.

Look...tell you what...why don't we wait until the next issue which resolves
ALL of this in terms that couldn't be clearer?  Otherwise all we're doing is
the comics version of debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

(The answer to which, by the way, is "As many as want to.")