[B5JMS] Specualtion and Worries on New B5 project

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Feb 18 04:26:24 EST 2004

From: PsicopJeffG at hotmail.com (Jeffrey Gustafson)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:10:54 +0000 (UTC)

"Joseph DeMartino" <jdemarti at bellsouth.net>

> > A studio makes a movie that they end up hating, that test audiences
> hate... <
>
> And the fact that the test audience hates it indicates that *real* audiences
> will hate it, the word-of-mouth will suck and it will be cheaper for the
> studio to shelve the movie, sell it to cable or release it direct-to-video
> than to distribute it and advertise it in theaters.  So we're back to its
> being a business decision, in this case how to minimize losses.  And it is
> pretty much the same with all the other examples you gave - pilots are focus
> grouped and test-audienced to death, the majority of them never going on the
> air.  The exceptions that *do* go on the air are either filling dead time or
> they will live or die based on their ratings.
>
> Most decisions about which scripts to make (for TV and movies) have less to
> do with their inherent aesthetic quality than with their perceived appeal to
> a desired audience.   Most decisions about which *books* to publish have
> less to do with quality than what is currently hot in the market.
>
> In fact, you can almost always assume that a decision to *kill* a project is
> mostly a matter of business.  It is the rare decision to go ahead with
> something that doesn't fit the established template for success or to keep a
> series going beyond the normal cancellation point that indicates a stubborn
> (and brave) studio or network decision maker trusting his or her gut.  When
> they're right (and the project is called "Star Wars" or the series "Cheers"
> or "M*A*S*H") they can be very right.  When they're wrong - well, they're
> usually gone. <g>
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe
>
> Is any of this news to you?

Of course not.  The point to my post in context, which you reaffirm
above, was that business decisions in the entertainment industry are
always made on percieved notions of quality.

Sometimes they are right, and a project is mercifully stuffed.
Sometimes they are wrong, and a worthy project is not given its due.
My point stands.

    -The Jeff

Sheridan:"So how did you find out all of this?"
Bester:"I'm a telepath.  Work it out." <*>