[B5JMS] ATTN JMS: Quick One About How You Write

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Wed Dec 21 04:30:17 EST 2005

From: "Brent F. Osgood" <bosgood at woh.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:54:17 +0000 (UTC)

When writing, do you tend to visualize the scenes/pages before/as you
write?  That is, do you use mental images to help shape the words, or is
  it purely a "written" thing?

Does your answer change depending on what you're writing?

I asked David Foster Wallace that and he said he didn't have use mental
images as he wrote, that it was pretty much in his head as words and
that's how it came out.  I asked him because he did a reading where he
previewed "Incarnations of Burned Children" and it painted such a
picture in my head it was like I was creating the movie as I listened.

Since you work in more visual media (or in tandem with them), I wondered
if it made a difference.

-Brent

> When writing, do you tend to visualize the scenes/pages before/as you
> write?  That is, do you use mental images to help shape the words, or is
>   it purely a "written" thing?
>
> Does your answer change depending on what you're writing?
>
> I asked David Foster Wallace that and he said he didn't have use mental
> images as he wrote, that it was pretty much in his head as words and
> that's how it came out.  I asked him because he did a reading where he
> previewed "Incarnations of Burned Children" and it painted such a
> picture in my head it was like I was creating the movie as I listened.
>
> Since you work in more visual media (or in tandem with them), I wondered
> if it made a difference.
>
> -Brent

Mark Twain said you should never begin writing something until you have
finished it to your satisfaction.  So that's what I try to do.  I close
my eyes and see every scene, every line, until it's clear.  If I hit a
roadblock, I back up and go another way until the whole thing goes
smoothly.  Only then do I sit down to write out what I've now seen.

For me it works...for somebody else, it could be the worst thing in the
world.