[B5JMS] from jms: too damned much stuff

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Mon May 16 04:31:14 EDT 2005

From: Wendy of NJ <voxwoman at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:56:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:40:36 +0000 (UTC), Oron Port
<zoraxe22 at netscape.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 May 2005 11:13:30 +0000 (UTC), Jan <janmschroeder at aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>And the winner in the Unnofficial Guessing Game for the Winning Bid on the PPG
>>is.....
>>
>>me.  The PPG sold for $10,400.00 and my guess was $10,450.00
>>
>>I think if JMS does mor auctions, next time I'll pick a script or tape.  Those
>>really had a range in this round.
>>
>>Jan
>>

>Looks like it's 20kitties again. So this gets my hopes up that we a
>dealing with a collector, and not just one who will shred the items.

20kitties and filmwelt-berlin kinda cleaned up on this round.

-Wendy

From: Paul Harper <paul at harper.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 08:17:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 15 May 2005 02:14:37 +0000 (UTC), jmsatb5 at aol.com wrote:

>And by the way...while I'm at it....
>
>For me, the very definition of hypocrisy comes into play when someone
>demands of others a level of perfection they do not require of
>themselves.

What demand have I made?

Don't you start strawmanning me, Straczynski [*], or you *will* have
an argument on your hands.

>If you're going to twig me as noted below --
>
>Paul Harper wrote:

>> "You're not making sense. Even for a Brit" has bugger-all to do with
>> any so-called class system and everything to do with prejudice.
>
>-- then you have to be able to take the position that *you* don't do
>this sort of thing, because if you do, then you do not have the moral
>high ground or authority with which to complain.

On which planet? That's complete twaddle and you know it.

>Just a few minutes of googling turned up the very same kind of
>prejudicial comments you've made about Americans...only far, far worse
>than anything I said.
>
>In addition to agreeing that Americans are "really stupid," and
>offering that all Americans are "revisionist historians," you've said:
>
>"ALL Americans worship flags of traitor ancestors - from a historical
>English perspective."

Yes. That is correct. From a perspective that is historical, the
various American flags are of traitor ancestors. There may even be a
few people around now who view it the same way, but your point would
be?

>Of the election, you said "How 100 million Americans can be so dumb as
>to elect a twat like him in the first place, let alone twice in a row
>is so far beyond my
>understanding as to be in the next galaxy. Rampant self-interest. I
>guess it's not too difficult to understand it really, huh?"

Yes. And that remains my position. Electing Bush *once* was a gross
mistake, twice in a row in staggering in it's dumbness and can only be
explained by rampant self-interest.  Your point would be?

>"Europeans have a much better and wider view of the world."  Also a
>very sweeping statement about an entire population.

A complimentary comment about my European neighbours is sweeping, yes.
Where's the harm in the compliment, though? Do you really want to
compare knowledge of global geography between US and European
students? No, didn't think so. Because it kind of proves the point.

>And my favorite exchange from you:
>
>">That makes americans 20% smarter than 1 billion fucking moron muslims
>>around the fucking moron muslim world, fucking rag head cunts.

That is not my quote, but one I was replying to before anyone starts
laying into me for it.

>But apparently considerably less literate."

That was my part.

You consider the quote I am replying to *was* literate, do you? Wow! I
thought it was illiterate, uneducated, racist drivel and nothing
anyone can say is going to change that.

You also selectively edit here (but as a safety net left the whole
comment in several hundred lines below here, where nobody's going to
find it) where I immediately after that comment said:

"You need to take a wider view on things like this."

You are *so* strawmanning this it is pathetic to watch.

>So you have dismissed and dissed Americans as dumb, self-interested,
>illiterate, worshipping flags of traitor ancestors, agreed that we are
>"really stupid"...and you have the *gall* to come here and give me a
>hard time about saying Britain has a rampant class system?

Given your misinterpretation of just about everything you quoted
(presumably in your white heat of irritation at being caught out being
prejudiced) that is barely worth commenting upon, and I notice you are
careful avoiding having to answer the main one of the FOUR times you
have a go at my country - where you said:

"You're not making any sense.  Even for a Brit."

The context of that comment was NOTHING to do with class systems,
because you were talking about "artists" earning money.

>The citations follow.

And having re-read them (which it might pay you to as well), your lack
of basic comprehension becomes even more glaring.

>One hopes your apology would also follow.

You may remain hopeful. You are not getting one because one is not
due, unlike the offense you have caused your (ex) UK fans.

They await *your* apology.

Now stop wriggling on the hook, be a man and apologise (to them, not
me. I don't give a shit what you think one way or the other).

Paul.

[* as an amusing side note, the spell checker throws that up as
"ostracises", which made me smile <g>]
--
. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
. JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.