[B5JMS] Ugh, I'm losing my respect for JMS and JoeyQ

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Sun May 21 09:17:48 EDT 2006

From: "Kevin S" <kevins at saintly.com>
Date: 19 May 2006 15:36:49 -0700

The reason of course being the recent Wizard interview of the couple
and Quesada's frequent anti-Spidey marriage comments.

In the past JMS has not only supported the marriage but also written
the couple greatly but it seems that his good buddy JoeQ has turned his
head with lies and misinformation (see his ridiculous comments at
Newsarama).

Only a couple of months ago this is what JMS said:
http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?t=37486

"As for his marriage to MJ, it's a relationship that I've enjoyed
writing. I think the reason other writers don't enjoy writing their
relationship is that they may be uncomfortble writing two people who
are actually in love with each other and romantic...so they go for
conflict and argument and "why can't you be more supportive of me,
boo-hoo" writing, and I've never really cared for that kind of
characterization. MJ and Peter have come through the fires together,
and they're more confident with one another as a result. I find that
enjoyable to write, and very appealing."

How quickly did he change his tone.. apparently Quesada has now
convinced him to destroy the marriage in a mini series that will come
out later this year. The funny thing is Quesada has offered nothing but
lies and half-truths to support his views while the vast majority of
Spider-Man fans have expressed their support for the continuation of
the Peter/MJ marriage (see the Newsarama poll with thousands of votes).
It's quite sad to see a writer whose work I've enjoyed immensely so far
revealed to be a running-dog lackey of Quesada.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with them being friends but a man of
integrity wouldn't take part in Quesada's plans... friends or not.

I can't wait to see Quesada leave Marvel, while he has done some good
things as an EIC, his lack of respect for many characters is hurting
the comics. And JMS apparently wishes to go down in history as the most
hated Spidey scribe ever, replacing John Byrne (the previous guy who
tried to mess with the marriage) in this position.

> It's quite sad to see a writer whose work I've enjoyed immensely so far
> revealed to be a running-dog lackey of Quesada.
>
> Sure, there's nothing wrong with them being friends but a man of
> integrity wouldn't take part in Quesada's plans... friends or not.
>
> I can't wait to see Quesada leave Marvel, while he has done some good
> things as an EIC, his lack of respect for many characters is hurting
> the comics. And JMS apparently wishes to go down in history as the most
> hated Spidey scribe ever, replacing John Byrne (the previous guy who
> tried to mess with the marriage) in this position.

*sigh*

It's sad but I'm starting to agree with posts like this. I've defended JMS
in the past but I don't think I can continue doing it anymore.

Quesada's comments in this weeks "Joe Fridays" made me despise the guy even
more... this guy is a bad EIC and he's SO out of touch with the fanbase.

It pains me to see the character of Spider-Man destroyed because one man's
vendetta against the marriage of Peter and Mary Jane and it's made even more
painful when a writer I have ( soon had) lots of respect for has agreed to
go ahead with it.

I have a feeling my days as Marvel comics readers are over soon.

> > It's quite sad to see a writer whose work I've enjoyed immensely so far
> > revealed to be a running-dog lackey of Quesada.
> >
> > Sure, there's nothing wrong with them being friends but a man of
> > integrity wouldn't take part in Quesada's plans... friends or not.
> >
> > I can't wait to see Quesada leave Marvel, while he has done some good
> > things as an EIC, his lack of respect for many characters is hurting
> > the comics. And JMS apparently wishes to go down in history as the most
> > hated Spidey scribe ever, replacing John Byrne (the previous guy who
> > tried to mess with the marriage) in this position.
> >

> *sigh*
>
> It's sad but I'm starting to agree with posts like this. I've defended JMS
> in the past but I don't think I can continue doing it anymore.

I don't read Wizard, so can't comment on the interview, but JMS has
been wasting his talent every since he started at Marvel.  Spider-man
and Fantastic Four are banal books, that, by the nature of the
franchise, go hardly anywhere, and are completly ill suited for the man
who wrote epic science fiction with bold character arcs in Jeremiah and
Babylon 5.

Quesada seems to have been writing 30% of JMS's plots for some time
now.  JMS's Spider-man run is completly schitzophrenic because of this
input, with illogically plot twists and no guiding vision beyond the
conclusion of the current storyline.  (He concluded the totem
storyline, for example, in an open ended way, leave it for the reader
to interpret , and then dumped that ending and its message when Quesada
asked him for the big, pointless event that became The Other, then,
right after the Other transformation, dropped the implications for a
new spider-armor to tie into Civil War!  We now have New New Spider-man
in the course of two months!)

In television, especially science fiction television, JMS is one of the
greats.  In comic writing, I wouldn't place him in my top twenty.

> In television, especially science fiction television, JMS is one of the
> greats.  In comic writing, I wouldn't place him in my top twenty.

Personally, I wouldn't put that pustulant sack of ambulatory phlegm in
the top FIFTY.

But that's just me.