[B5JMS] Atheists: America's most distrusted minority

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Fri May 19 04:44:56 EDT 2006

From: Amy Guskin <aisling at fjordstone.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 14:40:13 +0000 (UTC)

(in article <3gy5g.80851$dW3.45835 at newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>):

> More to the point, how do you know that Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Ann
> Coulter are people that hate?  Did you personally read their books, blogs or
> audit their radio or TV shows?  I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you are
> basing your opinion on at best a double-handful of quotes that you got from
> one or more Leftist sources.  You have to realize that those quotes are
> there to make exactly that point and have been culled out of both a larger
> body of public work and aren't necessarily a representative sample.  Worse,
> it's very easy to take something out of context to make someone sound
> different or worse than what they actually meant.  (Bringing this back to B5
> for a second, RE: "The Illusion of Truth")
>
> Example: leftist Ward Churchill was raked over the coals last year for
> supposedly referring to the victims of 9/11 as "little Hitlers".  It's
> possible for that to be some form of out-of-context quote or worse.  One
> would need to read the paragraph it came from to be reasonably sure of
> Churchill's meaning. <<

Speaking of making sure you're familiar with your source material and not
just excerpted sound bytes, Churchill's quote never mentioned Hitler: he
called the people in the towers "little Eichmanns."

Amy

>>>On Mon, 1 May 2006 22:18:15 -0400, Vorlonagent wrote
> (in article <3gy5g.80851$dW3.45835 at newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>):
>

>> More to the point, how do you know that Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and
>> Ann
>> Coulter are people that hate?  Did you personally read their books, blogs
>> or
>> audit their radio or TV shows?  I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you
>> are
>> basing your opinion on at best a double-handful of quotes that you got
>> from
>> one or more Leftist sources.  You have to realize that those quotes are
>> there to make exactly that point and have been culled out of both a
>> larger
>> body of public work and aren't necessarily a representative sample.
>> Worse,
>> it's very easy to take something out of context to make someone sound
>> different or worse than what they actually meant.  (Bringing this back to
>> B5
>> for a second, RE: "The Illusion of Truth")
>>
>> Example: leftist Ward Churchill was raked over the coals last year for
>> supposedly referring to the victims of 9/11 as "little Hitlers".  It's
>> possible for that to be some form of out-of-context quote or worse.  One
>> would need to read the paragraph it came from to be reasonably sure of
>> Churchill's meaning. <<
>
> Speaking of making sure you're familiar with your source material and not
> just excerpted sound bytes, Churchill's quote never mentioned Hitler: he
> called the people in the towers "little Eichmanns."

Mea culpa.

Still, the nazi equivalence is the nasty part of that quote.  Did Churchill
really say that?  Is there any wider context to that quote that changes the
meaning from the obvious?

If there isn't, it's a great example of hate-speech, not to mention
disrespect to the dead.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

"Spirituality without science has no mind.

Science without spirituality has no heart."

-Methuselah Jones

(in article <dAq7g.67398$_S7.49239 at newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>):

> "Amy Guskin" <aisling at fjordstone.com> wrote in message
> news:0001HW.C07CDDD503D8D312F0407530 at news.verizon.net...
>> (in article <3gy5g.80851$dW3.45835 at newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>):
>>

>>> More to the point, how do you know that Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and
>>> Ann
>>> Coulter are people that hate?  Did you personally read their books, blogs
>>> or
>>> audit their radio or TV shows?  I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you
>>> are
>>> basing your opinion on at best a double-handful of quotes that you got
>>> from
>>> one or more Leftist sources.  You have to realize that those quotes are
>>> there to make exactly that point and have been culled out of both a
>>> larger
>>> body of public work and aren't necessarily a representative sample.
>>> Worse,
>>> it's very easy to take something out of context to make someone sound
>>> different or worse than what they actually meant.  (Bringing this back to
>>> B5
>>> for a second, RE: "The Illusion of Truth")
>>>
>>> Example: leftist Ward Churchill was raked over the coals last year for
>>> supposedly referring to the victims of 9/11 as "little Hitlers".  It's
>>> possible for that to be some form of out-of-context quote or worse.  One
>>> would need to read the paragraph it came from to be reasonably sure of
>>> Churchill's meaning. <<
>>
>> Speaking of making sure you're familiar with your source material and not
>> just excerpted sound bytes, Churchill's quote never mentioned Hitler: he
>> called the people in the towers "little Eichmanns."
>
> Mea culpa.
>
> Still, the nazi equivalence is the nasty part of that quote.  Did Churchill
> really say that?  Is there any wider context to that quote that changes the
> meaning from the obvious?
>
> If there isn't, it's a great example of hate-speech, not to mention
> disrespect to the dead. <<

Here's the excerpt in context (and if you want to find it, Google "ward
churchill," essay, and eichmann):

>>They did not license themselves to "target innocent civilians."

There is simply no argument to be made that the Pentagon personnel killed on
September 11 fill that bill. The building and those inside comprised military
targets, pure and simple. As to those in the World Trade Center . . . Well,
really. Let's get a grip here, shall we? True enough, they were civilians of
a sort. But innocent? Gimme a break. They formed a technocratic corps at the
very heart of America's global financial empire ? the "mighty engine of
profit" to which the military dimension of U.S. policy has always been
enslaved ? and they did so both willingly and knowingly. Recourse to
"ignorance" ? a derivative, after all, of the word "ignore" ? counts as less
than an excuse among this relatively well-educated elite. To the extent that
any of them were unaware of the costs and consequences to others of what they
were involved in ? and in many cases excelling at ? it was because of their
absolute refusal to see. More likely, it was because they were too busy
braying, incessantly and self-importantly, into their cell phones, arranging
power lunches and stock transactions, each of which translated, conveniently
out of sight, mind and smelling distance, into the starved and rotting flesh
of infants. If there was a better, more effective, or in fact any other way
of visiting some penalty befitting their participation upon the little
Eichmanns inhabiting the sterile sanctuary of the twin towers, I'd really be
interested in hearing about it. <<

Amy

>>> On Mon, 8 May 2006 10:16:24 -0400, Vorlonagent wrote
> (in article <dAq7g.67398$_S7.49239 at newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>):
>

>> "Amy Guskin" <aisling at fjordstone.com> wrote in message
>> news:0001HW.C07CDDD503D8D312F0407530 at news.verizon.net...
>>> (in article <3gy5g.80851$dW3.45835 at newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>):

>>> Speaking of making sure you're familiar with your source material and
>>> not
>>> just excerpted sound bytes, Churchill's quote never mentioned Hitler: he
>>> called the people in the towers "little Eichmanns."
>>
>> Mea culpa.
>>
>> Still, the nazi equivalence is the nasty part of that quote.  Did
>> Churchill
>> really say that?  Is there any wider context to that quote that changes
>> the
>> meaning from the obvious?
>>
>> If there isn't, it's a great example of hate-speech, not to mention
>> disrespect to the dead. <<
>
> Here's the excerpt in context (and if you want to find it, Google "ward
> churchill," essay, and eichmann):

Thank you.

>>>They did not license themselves to "target innocent civilians."
>
> There is simply no argument to be made that the Pentagon personnel killed
> on
> September 11 fill that bill.

The most charitable I can be is tell myself that Churchill is mistakenly
assuming that only unformed military personnel work in the Pentagon.

> The building and those inside comprised military
> targets, pure and simple. As to those in the World Trade Center . . .
> Well,
> really. Let's get a grip here, shall we? True enough, they were civilians
> of
> a sort. But innocent? Gimme a break. They formed a technocratic corps at
> the
> very heart of America's global financial empire ? the "mighty engine of
> profit" to which the military dimension of U.S. policy has always been
> enslaved ? and they did so both willingly and knowingly. Recourse to
> "ignorance" ? a derivative, after all, of the word "ignore" ? counts as
> less
> than an excuse among this relatively well-educated elite. To the extent
> that
> any of them were unaware of the costs and consequences to others of what
> they
> were involved in ? and in many cases excelling at ? it was because of
> their
> absolute refusal to see. More likely, it was because they were too busy
> braying, incessantly and self-importantly, into their cell phones,
> arranging
> power lunches and stock transactions, each of which translated,
> conveniently
> out of sight, mind and smelling distance, into the starved and rotting
> flesh
> of infants. If there was a better, more effective, or in fact any other
> way
> of visiting some penalty befitting their participation upon the little
> Eichmanns inhabiting the sterile sanctuary of the twin towers, I'd really
> be
> interested in hearing about it. <<

My verdict: Hate speech.  Phrases such as "braying, incessantly and
self-importantly, into their cell phones" identify this as hate speech, no
matter whether his objections to US economic activity are well or badly
taken.  He is projecting his own prejudices against businessmen and women
onto the 9/11 victims, settimg them up as strawmen to knock down as "little
Eichmanns."

Churchill's words express a pronounced prejudiced against a class of people,
namely US businesspeople.  He is heaping any number of real and perceived
sins onto the people who worked at the World Trade Center and claiming that
these people ***deserved*** the death penalty for those real or perceived
crimes.

Churchill is saying that real or perceived crimes inflicted by US business
interests overseas somehow justified the Al-Queda attacks when those attacks
came from an entirely different motivation.  The US is not under jihad
because of what US companies are doing in the Mideast.  We are under jihad
because we support Isreal and because we are exporting a ***liberal***
culture that offends some religious extremists.  People see women unveiled
(to say the least) and in positions of authority, taking charge of their own
lives.  That bothers a Wahabbist cleric more than whatever business
Haliburton is doing in his land.

And for uttering these words, Churchill became a popular speaker at Leftist
venues, gaining a larger vanue for his hate-speech.

Tell me, did Air America distance themselves from Churchill, condemn him,
apologize for him or embrace him?