[B5JMS] Anon and on

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Sun Mar 22 04:41:18 EDT 2009

From: Josh Hill <usereplyto at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:03:19 -0400

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 00:26:16 -0700 (PDT), Ron <aparthon at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Those big production companies seem odd to me.  These are the same
>people that told Roddenberry to get rid of the 'pointy earred guy'.
>And when they were considering a superman remake, one exec didn't want
>him to have a cape.
>
>I read a post somewhere that a man was trying to sell TNT a script
>about Jesus Christ, TNT wanted to have the Lord flying around shooting
>lightning bolts at people. That's not even in the biblcal text.  In
>fact when two of his disciples asked him if he wanted them to call
>down fire on a village he told them no and said they didn't know what
>spirit they were from.
>
>I guess at some point when you're in that industry, you just become an
>idiot.  It's like a bug, or virus that you catch.

It's not that everyone in the industry is an idiot, far from it. It's
just that as in every business you have good people working alongside
bad ones, the whole gamut of abilities, and that as in other American
industries today the path to the executive suite doesn't always run
through the Fields of Knowledge and Experience.

--
Josh

"What is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?" - Sarah Palin

>> I guess at some point when you're in that industry, you just become an
>> idiot.  It's like a bug, or virus that you catch.
>
> It's not that everyone in the industry is an idiot, far from it. It's
> just that as in every business you have good people working alongside
> bad ones, the whole gamut of abilities, and that as in other American
> industries today the path to the executive suite doesn't always run
> through the Fields of Knowledge and Experience.

I dunno, I think the "Entertainment Industry" operates on a mutated
version of the Peter Principle, where once an individual rises to his
own level of incompetence, he doesn't just stay there, but shoots right
through the roof.  There appears to be some conservation of momentum
involved, in that the faster the rise, the further that person
overshoots the mark.  And of course, what goes up in these cases, rarely
ever comes back down.

>>> I guess at some point when you're in that industry, you just become an
>>> idiot.  It's like a bug, or virus that you catch.
>>
>> It's not that everyone in the industry is an idiot, far from it. It's
>> just that as in every business you have good people working alongside
>> bad ones, the whole gamut of abilities, and that as in other American
>> industries today the path to the executive suite doesn't always run
>> through the Fields of Knowledge and Experience.
>
>I dunno, I think the "Entertainment Industry" operates on a mutated
>version of the Peter Principle, where once an individual rises to his
>own level of incompetence, he doesn't just stay there, but shoots right
>through the roof.  There appears to be some conservation of momentum
>involved, in that the faster the rise, the further that person
>overshoots the mark.  And of course, what goes up in these cases, rarely
>ever comes back down.

It is more an offshoot of the Dilbert Principle, where you don't fire
the incompentent, you move them to where they can cause less damage -
management!  Then, once one pointy haired boss reaches VP status, he
gets the other PHB's promoted too!  Pretty soon, the entire
organization is incompentent, but no one gets fired, because they
would have to fire themselves!  Ring in the G-S!

Charlie