[B5JMS] BSG Ending episode *spoiler thread*

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Tue Mar 24 04:33:59 EDT 2009

From: voxwoman <voxwoman at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:35:33 -0700 (PDT)

so, I watched that whole bloody series...

From: Jan <janmschroeder at aol.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2009 10:04:43 -0700

In article <981e64f9-e1c3-4217-ad06-8c38f9593e4e at d19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
voxwoman says...

>so, I watched that whole bloody series...

and whatever you wrote after the spoiler space was lost.

I *didn't* watch the whole series, gave it up a while back due to the
unrelenting grimness even though I loved the characters and the quality of the
show.

I've been watching this last several episodes, though, and the finale last
night.  I thought it was a fitting send-off to the show...if only it had ended
before the "150,000 years later" bit which I thought was a distraction and a
waste.  Had to smile at the RDM cameo, though.

Jan

--
Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognize
this singular truth: that we are one; and this singular rule: that

> >so, I watched that whole bloody series...

> and whatever you wrote after the spoiler space was lost.

Well, my browser is being kind to me, and the text was still cached!
what I said was this:

There were moments I laughed out loud, and a lot of good stuff in
there. Many times did I wish the rest of the last couple of years were
this good, and the CGI was superrealistic to the point that it was
"too" good and actually looked more fake than the not-as-well rendered
stuff from years ago. (and more fake than filming scale models). It
could be that I'm not used to Hi-def television (and we just inherited
one from my father).

One thing that I was a bit frustrated with was with the new flashback
scenes. If they had that scene with Tigh and Adama in the gogo bar in
the pilot episode - that would have been truly awesome, worthy to a
successor to Babylon 5. All that backstory stuff should have been
seeded in earlier episodes, so the revelations would have been even
greater than they were.

I was annoyed when it got preachy and characters had to explain what
we've just seen for the people who didn't "get it" via the
storytelling. I was waiting for the "moral of the story" light to
flash on and off at the bottom of the screen.

Other observations about yesterday... I heard on NPR on my drive home
last evening that there was a big BSG panel at the *United Nations*
with 2 leads (Adama and Rosslyn) and Moore and Eick, 100 high school
kids and Whoopi Goldberg presiding. I think UN delegates were playing
the roles of representatives of the 12 colony planets.... And all I
could think of was that BSG had a way better publicity machine than
Babylon 5.

B5 I think was ahead of its time, and BSG is part of its time. The
topics that the UN were interested in exploring had to do with
terrorism and torture, and I think about Season 4 of B5, and how all
these things were also touched on, but the current events of the time
were not dovetailing in quite the way that they were with the BSG
storyline.

I guess I will have to get the rest of the DVDs when they come out and
watch in a marathon (and also start noting which lame episodes I can
skip) and see if it flows better or worse.

"Caprica" looks like they shopped "Dallas in Space" to the network. I
have no idea what the new Stargate series is about, and I'm wondering
WTF "BSG: the Plan" is supposed to be - more retconning and filling in
that should have been done during the original series?

One thing Trek taught these guys is how to build a franchise...

X-Men:Origins looks really good, though.

-Wendy of NJ

<26a273f9-f8f0-44e7-8243-0f2ef2ab7f49 at h20g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>):

> On Mar 21, 1:04=A0pm, Jan <janmschroe... at aol.com> wrote:
>> In article=20
>> <981e64f9-e1c3-4217-ad06-8c38f9593... at d19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>> voxwoman says...
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>> so, I watched that whole bloody series...
>>=20
>>> p
>>> o
>>=20
>>> p
>>> a
>>> c
>>=20
>> and whatever you wrote after the spoiler space was lost.
>=20
> Well, my browser is being kind to me, and the text was still cached!
> what I said was this:
>=20
> There were moments I laughed out loud, and a lot of good stuff in
> there. Many times did I wish the rest of the last couple of years were
> this good, and the CGI was superrealistic to the point that it was
> "too" good and actually looked more fake than the not-as-well rendered
> stuff from years ago. (and more fake than filming scale models). It
> could be that I'm not used to Hi-def television (and we just inherited
> one from my father).
>=20
> One thing that I was a bit frustrated with was with the new flashback
> scenes. If they had that scene with Tigh and Adama in the gogo bar in
> the pilot episode - that would have been truly awesome, worthy to a
> successor to Babylon 5. All that backstory stuff should have been
> seeded in earlier episodes, so the revelations would have been even
> greater than they were. <<

Amen, sistah!  If you're going to use a gun in the third act, it should h=
ave=20
been on the mantle in the first act.  I have a LOT to say about this fina=
le,=20
which seriously pissed me off...

I was very disappointed; to me, the whole thing came off as very...writte=
n,=20
for lack of a better word. =A0You could sense the hand of an author behin=
d it,=20
knowing he was saying goodbye to his characters. =A0A lot of characteriza=
tions=20
didn't ring true for me, and it all had the shiny, glossy patina of a dre=
am=20
-- kind of like that final, soft-focus scene of "A Nightmare on Elm Stree=
t"=20
just before the 'gotcha!,' where the mother is alive again, Johnny Depp i=
s=20
alive again, and all is tra-la-la happy and carefree, and oh-so-fake...

Regarding the guns firing in the third act without having been placed in =
the=20
first act, to my tastes, there were too many things that were "huh"s in t=
his=20
last season, and even as late as this episode.

All the stuff with Kara and the musical notes is the best example: we nev=
er=20
heard ANYTHING about her father for all the previous seasons, or were sho=
wn=20
that she had ANY musical abilities/inclinations. =A0If they _had_ shown t=
hat,=20
the whole thing with the father and the piano and the notes -- and Kara b=
eing=20
the one to recognize that Hera's dots were notes -- would have been MUCH =
more=20
powerful, and effective. =A0So to have her pull that out of thin air when=
 she=20
was looking for some coordinates to plug into the FTL was just a little t=
oo=20
convenient and eye-rolly for me. =A0First off, if they were on a suicide=20
mission, and thought that if they DID manage to return to the fleet, it w=
ould=20
only be by the skin of their teeth, why wouldn't they have the coordinate=
s=20
pre-programmed into the FTL? =A0Okay, okay, you're going to say that they=
=20
wanted to protect the rest of the fleet in case they failed. =A0Point tak=
en.=20
=A0But why, when they _needed_ to jump out of there, were the coordinates=
=20
completely unavailable? =A0Who knew them? =A0Who had them? =A0It _must_ h=
ave been=20
someone on CIC.

Who the heck is that Hoshi guy? =A0We saw him once, maybe, in the previou=
s=20
episode, so Adama saying that the fleet needed someone they knew and trus=
ted,=20
and then handing the admiral's pins to that no-name guy, was pretty much =
a=20
"huh??" moment for me.

And, I doubt Romo Lampkin would have accepted the job of president. =A0No=
t=20
based on the character as written in all his previous episodes, at least!

But the big, bad, 800-pound-gorilla-in-the-room faux pas, in my opinion, =
is=20
this: Is it really reasonable that they chose to risk a significant=20
percentage of remaining humanity -- and some of the most productive, capa=
ble=20
members of those remaining -- to save one child? =A0I do see how Hera was=
=20
important to the Cylons -- without resurrection tech, they needed to know=
 how=20
they could reproduce naturally -- but why was she more than just one chil=
d to=20
the humans? =A0I think any military commander would have deemed that an=20
unacceptable risk.

After landing on Earth, would they _really_ have destroyed the fleet so=20
quickly? =A0What if the planet proved to be hostile? =A0Shouldn't they ha=
ve hung=20
onto some ships for awhile?

Okay, so they _did_ hang onto at least one ship. =A0So what about Adama's=
=20
Raptor? =A0Where did they hide it? =A0Behind Stonehenge? =A0Deep under Lo=
ch Ness? =20
What about the ships being used to move people around the planet? =A0Or d=
id=20
those go back up into orbit for Sam's trip into the sun? =A0Bottom line, =
they=20
could _not_ have had that kind of tech on this planet and not polluted th=
e=20
historical record.

What happened to Saul's relationship with the Six? =A0How come he was sud=
denly=20
back with Ellen again? =A0I thought he and the Six really loved one anoth=
er?=20
=A0She just seemed to disappear after the loss of the baby. =A0Or...it wa=
sn't=20
Caprica who was with Saul, was it? =A0Just another of the bleached blonde=
=20
versions of the Six? =A0What happened to her? =A0When did they break up a=
nd Saul=20
and Ellen reunite?

When Lee said, "Goodbye, Kara -- you won't be forgotten," tell me I'm not=
 the=20
only one who thought "Yes, millions will drink your coffee every day!"

As for Kara...where did she go? =A0Here's one place where I definitely ca=
lled=20
shenanigans. =A0Was she a ghost? =A0A witch? =A0A magician? =A0An angel? =
=A0A=20
superhero? =A0How does a normal human disappear from a broad, flat field =
like=20
that without the other human there seeing her? =A0Considering what Kara f=
ound=20
on the other Earth, I think it was INCREDIBLY stinky and bad writing to j=
ust=20
leave that flapping in the wind, not telling us WHAT she was. =A0But appa=
rently=20
they wanted to leave that open so they could make her go *poof!* so=20
dramatically in the finale. =A0<eye roll>

Feh. =A0I know I shouldn't be annoyed -- the show has never really lived =
up to=20
the first season since somewhere mid-second season, but I kind of hoped t=
hey=20
had a plan of _some_ sort that would make it all make sense by the finale=
.=20
=A0Honestly, I don't think this was a plan. =A0If it _was_, it was a suck=
y one. =20
Then again, I'm probably spoiled because of B5's tight plotting.

One of my friends has been reading all of the recent interviews with Eick=
 and=20
Moore, and is now really pissed at finding out how shockingly underplanne=
d it=20
all was, particularly about how late they came up with -- and inserted --=
 the=20
whole plotline about the final five.  IMHO, this was fan service, pure an=
d=20
simple. =A0They knew Ellen was popular, so they brought her back as a Fin=
al=20
Five. =A0If they couldn't bring back Billy (Roslin's more popular origina=
l=20
assistant), they'd make Tori the evil Cylon. =A0Etc. =A0And once you go d=
own the=20
road of fan service, that way lies madness. =A0The problem with not knowi=
ng=20
that kind of thing in advance is that they couldn't plant stuff, seemingl=
y=20
innocent, throwaway lines, in their dialogue months -- or even years! --=20
before, and make it pay out later on down the line. =A0Like another show =
we all=20
know and love that rewards the astute observer.

One thing I want to mention is the opera house stuff. =A0I thought the or=
iginal=20
dream/vision -- shared by the three women and Hera -- was beautiful image=
ry.=20
=A0But as it began to play out, I thought two things:

1) If it was really planned in advance that that was how the opera house=20
dream was going to manifest in reality, they would have been someplace th=
at=20
looked a lot more like an opera house;

2) If it was really planned in advance and they were someplace that evoke=
d an=20
opera house much more effectively, they wouldn't have HAD to intercut wit=
h=20
the dream; it would have -- and should have -- been obvious to the regula=
r=20
viewers. =A0And would have _rewarded_ the regular viewers had it more clo=
sely=20
evoked the opera house scenes.

That, more than _anything_ in the finale, told me that this was very shod=
dily=20
patched together in the last few seasons, and that planning had flown out=
 the=20
window. =A0I mean, they had to bloody well hit us over the head with the=20
intercuts, right down to having Six and Baltar look up to the gallery and=
 see=20
the view of the Final Five with their faces silhouetted out in white.=20
=A0Sheesh!

And overall, the whole two hours felt kind of rushed and compressed to me=
. =20
It seemed like Moore wanted each character to get a big chunk of focus, b=
ut=20
he hadn't left enough time (2 hrs 11 mins) in which to do it.  Maybe he=20
should have said goodbye to a few characters in the preceding episodes, a=
nd=20
not tried to cram it all in to the last two hours.

Big disappointment from something that started out with such promise.  I =
can=20
remember first season, first _episode_, just looking at it and listening =
to=20
the dialogue, and saying, "Wow, they went to the Babylon 5 school of how =
to=20
make a tv sf series!  This is gonna be GREAT!"

Feh.

Amy
--=20
Ten Thousand Questions Blog:
A Question a Day for Journaling, Self-Discovery, and Transformation
"2009 is the Year of Questions"
tenthousandquestions.com