[B5JMS] ATTN JMS: Original casting question

Posts of Babylon 5's creator Joe M. Straczynski b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Wed Sep 2 04:33:12 EDT 2009

From: Joseph DeMartino <jdemarti at bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 05:36:18 -0700 (PDT)

Just idle curiosity:  In reading the Julie Caitlin Brown bio posted on
www.hollywoodshow.com in conjuction with their upcoming autograph
show, I came across the following:

"Following the departure of Mary Woronov from the series and the last-
minute loss of originally cast Susan Kellerman, Babylon 5's casting
director called her and unexpectedly offered her the role of Na'Toth
on the first season of the science-fiction series."

This is the first time I've ever seen it even *suggested* that anyone
had actually been cast to play an aide to G'Kar other than Woronov,
Brown and Mary Kay Adams.  So I'm skeptical, to say the least.

Are they completely nuts or could this be some lost bit of trivia from
the earliest days of the show?  Maybe Kellerman was one of the actors
who *auditioned* for the role, and the story became mangled somewhere
along the line?  (The bios on the site seem to be a mix of stuff from
the IMDB, official websites and who-knows-where, so I have no idea
where this particular tidbit comes from.)  I'm just intrigued by the
idea that something ostensibly "new" like this might have surfaced
after all these years.

Regards,

Joe

> Just idle curiosity: =A0In reading the Julie Caitlin Brown bio posted onw=
ww.hollywoodshow.comin conjuction with their upcoming autograph
> show, I came across the following:
>
> "Following the departure of Mary Woronov from the series and the last-
> minute loss of originally cast Susan Kellerman, Babylon 5's casting
> director called her and unexpectedly offered her the role of Na'Toth
> on the first season of the science-fiction series."
>
> This is the first time I've ever seen it even *suggested* that anyone
> had actually been cast to play an aide to G'Kar other than Woronov,
> Brown and Mary Kay Adams. =A0So I'm skeptical, to say the least.
>
> Are they completely nuts or could this be some lost bit of trivia from
> the earliest days of the show? =A0Maybe Kellerman was one of the actors
> who *auditioned* for the role, and the story became mangled somewhere
> along the line? =A0(The bios on the site seem to be a mix of stuff from
> the IMDB, official websites and who-knows-where, so I have no idea
> where this particular tidbit comes from.) =A0I'm just intrigued by the
> idea that something ostensibly "new" like this might have surfaced
> after all these years.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe

I vaguely recall that she auditioned, and I think she was among our
finalists, but I don't believe we ever crossed the contract threshold.

From: John W Kennedy <john.w.kennedy at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 14:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 1, 5:28=A0pm, Joseph Straczynski <jmsa... at aol.com> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 5:36=A0am, Joseph DeMartino <jdema... at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

> > Just idle curiosity: =A0In reading the Julie Caitlin Brown bio posted o=
nwww.hollywoodshow.cominconjuction with their upcoming autograph
> > show, I came across the following:
>
> > "Following the departure of Mary Woronov from the series and the last-
> > minute loss of originally cast Susan Kellerman, Babylon 5's casting
> > director called her and unexpectedly offered her the role of Na'Toth
> > on the first season of the science-fiction series."
>
> > This is the first time I've ever seen it even *suggested* that anyone
> > had actually been cast to play an aide to G'Kar other than Woronov,
> > Brown and Mary Kay Adams. =A0So I'm skeptical, to say the least.
>
> > Are they completely nuts or could this be some lost bit of trivia from
> > the earliest days of the show? =A0Maybe Kellerman was one of the actors
> > who *auditioned* for the role, and the story became mangled somewhere
> > along the line? =A0(The bios on the site seem to be a mix of stuff from
> > the IMDB, official websites and who-knows-where, so I have no idea
> > where this particular tidbit comes from.) =A0I'm just intrigued by the
> > idea that something ostensibly "new" like this might have surfaced
> > after all these years.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Joe
>
> I vaguely recall that she auditioned, and I think she was among our
> finalists, but I don't believe we ever crossed the contract threshold.

Now I'm confused. I could have sworn that I saw somewhere that there
was a first Na'Toth who worked a single day and freaked out over the
makeup, whose footage was consequently never aired at all. The story
is in Wikipedia (s.v. "Na'Toth"), with the name Susan Kellerman
attached, but that's not where I first saw it.

From: vakie <vakie81 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:44:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 2, 00:43, John W Kennedy <john.w.kenn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I'm confused. I could have sworn that I saw somewhere that there
> was a first Na'Toth who worked a single day and freaked out over the
> makeup, whose footage was consequently never aired at all. The story
> is in Wikipedia (s.v. "Na'Toth"), with the name Susan Kellerman
> attached, but that's not where I first saw it.

I remember reading or hearing that somewhere as well.

vakie

From: Joseph Straczynski <jmsatb5 at aol.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 23:08:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 1, 4:44=A0pm, vakie <vaki... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 00:43, John W Kennedy <john.w.kenn... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now I'm confused. I could have sworn that I saw somewhere that there
> > was a first Na'Toth who worked a single day and freaked out over the
> > makeup, whose footage was consequently never aired at all. The story
> > is in Wikipedia (s.v. "Na'Toth"), with the name Susan Kellerman
> > attached, but that's not where I first saw it.
>
> I remember reading or hearing that somewhere as well.
>
> vakie

Yeah...I think that might be right, though I don't recall if that was
a first day of work or makeup tests.  Boy, the brain goes fast....