ATTN JMS: Maybe setting recor

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 16 11:26:25 EST 1995

Subject: ATTN JMS: Maybe setting recor
+  1: Oct 31, 1995: 00gdwessel at bsuvc.bsu.edu (Geoff Weasel)
   2: Nov  1, 1995: tfarrell at lynx.dac.neu.edu (Thomas Farrell)
+  3: Nov 10, 1995: andrew at cloud.net.au (Andrew Lee)
*  4: Nov 15, 1995: straczynski at genie.geis.com

From: 00gdwessel at bsuvc.bsu.edu (Geoff Weasel)

In article <199510301901.AA297329692 at relay1.geis.com>, straczynski at genie.geis.com writes:
>      Actually, it was pointed out to me recently that as far as can be
> determined (and if there's any solid info to the contrary, I'll gladly
> take it) that no one has ever single-handedly written a full season of
> a dramatic, one-hour series.  Even David Kelley often uses co-writers on
> many of his episodes of ER and Picket Fences.  I have not yet set this out
> as a personal challenge, because I think you have to be open to what may
> come your way from other places.  But it's something I'm keeping a vaguely
> interested eye on....
>
>                                                                      jms

According to my old old old copy of the program(me) guide by Tony Attwood,
Terry NAtion wrote the first season of BLAKE'S 7 by himself.  Of course,
BLAKE'S 7's season were only 13 episodes long, but still....

--- Geoff We at sel

JUMPGATE -- Central Indiana BABYLON 5 Information Service
http://bsuvc.bsu.edu/~00gdwessel/jumpgate.html

From: andrew at cloud.net.au (Andrew Lee)

 -=> Quoting number6Re: ATTN JMS: Maybe setting recorerv.net to All <=-

 nu> straczynski at genie.geis.com writes:
 >     Actually, it was pointed out to me recently that as far as can be
 >determined (and if there's any solid info to the contrary, I'll gladly
 >take it) that no one has ever single-handedly written a full season of
 >a dramatic, one-hour series.

 nu> _Blake's 7._  Season one.  All of it.  Terry Nation.
 nu> Admittedly, that "season" was only thirteen episodes long,
 nu> but still . . . .

 Umm, someone please correct me here, but I've been told that Terry didn't
 exactly write it all by himself. Apparently the script editor handled an
 awful lot of the dialogue. Edited the rest to extinction, and had a major
 beef with Terry's view of the show as "Robin Hood in space." I believe
the
 view was that it should be more Che in space or something to that effect.

 >     I have not yet set this out as a personal challenge, [b]ut
 >it's something I'm keeping a vaguely interested eye on....

 nu>    Well, if you really need another challenge beyond making the
 nu>    best damn show on television, you could always just go for
 nu>    highest number of consecutive scripts single-handedly written
 nu>    for a series, instead of tying it to an arbitrary measure like
 nu>    a "season."  Then you should have it easy.

 Already won I should think. But writing a whole season? That would
probably
 send most writers to an early grave. Do we want that for this one?
	EOL
	-Andrew

... Life is what happens whilst you are making other plans.

-+- OLMS 2.5 UNREG

From: straczynski at genie.geis.com

      Actually, the point raised is a valid one; I'd omitted the British
shows because they tend to be more author driven in any event; McGoohan
probably wrote 90% of The Prisoner (under various names), and there have
been similar examples elsewhere.  I was mainly thinking of American TV.