ATTN: JMS You Got Competition

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 12 02:15:54 EDT 1995

Subject: ATTN: JMS You Got Competition
+  1: Oct  9, 1995: a024781t at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us (Charles J Walther)
   2: Oct 10, 1995: dstinson at ix.netcom.com (David Stinson)
   3: Oct 10, 1995: denebeim at deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim)
   4: Oct 10, 1995: benn1 at uwindsor.ca (John Benn)
+  5: Oct 10, 1995: dave at citsoft.co.uk (Dave Mansell)
*  6: Oct 11, 1995: straczynski at genie.geis.com

From: a024781t at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us (Charles J Walther)

You know up to now I have thought the only good science fiction on TV was
B-5. The reason, simple, the stories held together and there wasn't any
this crap like make a new radiation from the scanner BS,
or playing with time, or erratic holodeck stuff in your scripts. You were
the best game in town.

That has now changed, I hope. Voyager is still crap as far as writing is
concerned. DS-9, however, came on with a powerful script and special effects
that I think even topped yours. The story was great and there was even a
little JMS type foreshadowing as to who the possible changelings might be.
I hope this quality holds up for more than a single episode.

I hope this does set up a competition between you and DS-9. I like to see
both story lines get better and better. With more than one real player on
the scene, this may now be a possibility. With B-5 before now, it was
not hard to be the best SF on television considering you had shows like
Seaquest, Voyager and Space, A&B to contend with. With DS-9 back in the
game, you are no longer alone. That competition can only help both shows and
the medium. I like to think that intelligent people will appreciate good
writing and not just special effects that make no sense. I don't care
what the exxecs say. People will not be taken in by the technocrap seen
in too many SF shows. Keep up the good work.

I look forward to seeing both shows.

--
Send Replies to the Following

Charles J. Walther
a024781t at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

From: dave at citsoft.co.uk (Dave Mansell)

dstinson at ix.netcom.com (David Stinson) wrote:

>In article <45c1oo$qe3 at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>,
>   a024781t at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us (Charles J Walther) wrote:
>>You know up to now I have thought the only good science fiction on TV was
>>B-5. The reason, simple, the stories held together and there wasn't any
>>this crap like make a new radiation from the scanner BS,
>>or playing with time, or erratic holodeck stuff in your scripts. You were
>>the best game in town.
>>
>>That has now changed, I hope. Voyager is still crap as far as writing is
>>concerned. DS-9, however, came on with a powerful script and special effects
>>that I think even topped yours. The story was great and there was even a
>>little JMS type foreshadowing as to who the possible changelings might be.
>>I hope this quality holds up for more than a single episode.
>Just a note:

>DS9's episode was just made a month or so ago. You haven't seen the battle
>sequences out of the Final Four yet.

Indeed one episode in the Final Four has two seperate battle
sequences, one several minutes long in total, that are significantly
better than anything B5 has done before (hint - take the battle
sequence in The coming of shadows - double it, now double it again,
and again.... get the idea!).

>** David A. Stinson      **  Web Page:  http://www.procom.com/~daves   *
>** dstinson at ix.netcom.com***********************************************
>** DAVES at procom.com      ** "Gonna need another Timmy!" -Baby Sinclair *
>** dastinson at aol.com     *******************************  Dinosaurs!   *

Dave Mansell
---++---
dave at citsoft.co.uk
dave at citadel.zynet.co.uk
dmansell at cix.compulink.co.uk
It only rains twice a week during a Cornish winter,
once for 3 days and then again for 4.

From: straczynski at genie.geis.com

     I'm quite happy to have competition.  The more the merrier.  As an SF
fan myself, I love nothing more than seeing good SF on the air, and I have
to say I *very* much enjoyed the last Voyager episode, I'm quite happy
with X-Files, I'm in love with a lot of the dialogue and camerawork on
American Gothic, I've enjoyed all the Space episodes to date...the more
voices, the more competition, the leaner and better the overall result.