JMS on Compuserve: October 19, 1995 -- 77 char format, SPOILERS FOR FINAL FOUR!

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 19 17:00:44 EDT 1995

Subject: JMS on Compuserve: October 19, 1995 -- 77 char format, SPOILERS FOR FINAL FOUR!
*  1: Oct 19, 1995: The Green Meddler <kilgalen at tde.com>

From: The Green Meddler <kilgalen at tde.com>

---------------------------------18587104139554

Per numerous requests, i have written a formatting utility
that breaks JMS posts up into 77 character lines. Due to
its being a Pascal utility, i'm stuck with 255 chars per
line till i go to 32bit next week, so i'm having to break
up some long lines to avoid losing text.

i appreciate everyone's patience with my posting problems.
now that i have my net slave, things should get back to
normal.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/  Green Meddler  kilgalen at tde.com   Nathan F. Wallace _/
_/     http://www.webcom.com/~kilgalen/welcome.html     _/
_/     http://www.webcom.com/~kilgalen/nerelon.html     _/
_/    C.I.U.P.K.C. Software -- Unleashing the Power!    _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---------------------------------18587104139554

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

THIS POSTING CONTAINS ENTIRELY SPOILER INFORMATION ABOUT THE
FOUR EPISODES AT THE END OF SECOND SEASON CURRENTLY BEING
SHOWN IN THE UK BUT **NOT** IN THE U.S.!!!!!! READ AT YOUR
OWN RISK! NON-SPOILER JMS POSTINGS ARE IN THE PREVIOUS JMS
ON COMPUSERVE POSTING; ONLY SPOILERS ARE IN THIS POSTING!!!

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

END SPOILER SPACE! READ FURTHER AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Subj:  <Divided Loyalties>		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  The Jawa / Jawa #2	Wednesday, October 18, 1995 4:15:17 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#373788
<	Okay.
	Sooooo, Zathras is from the Planet, huh?
	(Does it have a name, and I missed it?)
	Very interesting--it also blew about sixteen of my theories out of the
water <G>.
	The scene with G'Kar in the Council Room was very moving; it illustrated
exactly what each character has become.
	Now, about those Rangers: Are they Sinclair's, still, or did he send them
there as a sort of recon team for Sheridan?
	(Slowly, I'm warming up to Sheridan again.)
	Excellent writing, Joe, and you'll excuse me while I go watch it again...
			The Jawa
			Kidism Patrol
			<<"My allies
			have begun to
			worry me.">>>

     Thanks; and the planet is Epsilon 3.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  Talia/Garibaldi/Comic#8		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  John McAuley		Wednesday, October 18, 1995 8:24:08 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#374131

     "...picture of Talia on conveyer with red net over her face."

     C'mon...you're saying anybody'd be able to recognize a flash image of
a woman with a red net over her face as much as 7 years later...?

  To:  John McAuley, 		Thursday, October 19, 1995 5:44:12 AM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#374675
<But I had to set the record straight when you said Mr G hadn't seen her.

He had a good look, and she had a name tag on. It said "Winters T.".

I wonder if Mr G has said "I never forget a face" on air?

Must check some time. (I think I'm enjoying this <g>)>

     As I recall, the Winters, T badge was only visible in the next to last
panel, which is a narrative flashback, not him personally.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  Episodes Evaluation		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  peter  stathis, 	Wednesday, October 18, 1995 4:15:12 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#373786

     If I were simply going to tell everyone what's going to happen, there
would be little point in actually making the series, true?

  To:  Terry Cotant	Thursday, October 19, 1995 5:44:11 AM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#374674
<Hey, PMJI (and changing subjects..), but is there someone @ Babylonian
(sp?) Productions that I can get some 3D models (and maybe even texture
maps) from?
I'd like to do some nice fan-art animations.. (Possible?)>

     Unfortunately, we can't release that info outside the company for
copyright reasons.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  Ellison CITY Note		Section: Star Trek
  To:  Randall Chrisman, 	Wednesday, October 18, 1995 4:15:15 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#373787

     No "I told you so" involved; I've seen the galleys, there were 150
major typos, it couldn't be released like that.  So correcting those took
an additional 3 weeks.
Nothing to do with anything but production glitches in manufacture.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  WOTW: DS9 Imitates B5?		Section: Star Trek
  To:  Michael Ogrinz, 	Wednesday, October 18, 1995 4:36:04 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#373808

     Not backwards at all when one considers that in general B5's ratings
have been slowly, consistently improving in non-rerun periods since it went
on the air.
No, it didn't start out in the top figures because it didn't have the ST
name that guarantees ratings.  It's had to find its audience, and vice
versa.  And this it has been doing.

     In LA, the first new episode of B5, aired right after a new DS9
episode, got a 6.3 rating and a 10 share, as opposed to a 5.3/9 for DS9.

     And even *absent* all that...even a lower rated show can challenge one
artistically.
Twin Peaks never got the big numbers, but it had a major impact in breaking
open some of the elements that others have used since, in shows like
X-Files and American Gothic and others.

     On this whole question...if you saw the DS9 2-hour debut, with the
action scenes, you may want to check out the show airing this week.  You
might find it interesting....