JMS on CompuServe (Apr 19, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Sat Apr 20 17:10:58 EDT 1996

    Sb: #490663->Sic Transit Vir<
    Sb: #490755-<EA Battle Tactics>
    Sb: #490757-City on The Edge
    Sb: #491089-City on The Edge
    Sb: #490561-#<Interludes SPOILER>
    Sb: #491192-<<Ambassador Na'fon?>>
    Sb: #491350-<STV: a Narn question>
    Sb: #491225-<<Recasting fever>>>
    Sb: #491250-B5 v Star Trek

 #: 490663 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-Apr-96  22:10:57
Sb: #489554-#>Sic Transit Vir<
Fm: RAY PELZER

Sorry, I have to be obtuse on this one myself... what DID happen to the Narn
Lindesty caught?

 #: 491112 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-Apr-96  16:19:12
Sb: #490663->Sic Transit Vir<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Nothing.

                                                                       jms

   Dreams" to make it harder on the EA forces.  And why did the EA forces
   use the jumpgate at all? ]

 #: 491114 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-Apr-96  16:19:15
Sb: #490755-<EA Battle Tactics>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The answer to both your questions is about the same.  It takes about a
day to power down, or power up a jump gate.  It operates more like a fusion
reactor than a light bulb.  So not only wasn't there enough time, even if they
*had* had enough time, you'd want to leave the gate up and running in case you
needed to evacuate for any reason; otherwise you'd cut off your main escape
route.

       For the incoming fleet, knowing the gate was active was the way to go,
since it would let them launch their fighters prior to coming in; if you use a
jump point, you kinda have to launch while you're coming out to avoid anyone
being stuck behind.

                                                                       jms

   the Edge of Forever," and state that the book will be out this year. ]

 #: 491115 S2/Star Trek: General
    18-Apr-96  16:26:47
Sb: #490757-City on The Edge
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The CITY book has already come out in limited edition hardcover, and is
available in a few places if you ask around.  A paperback version will be out
later in the year.

                                                                       jms

   that he called a bookstore and was told the Ellison book had been
   withdrawn from print. ]

 #: 491116 S2/Star Trek: General
    18-Apr-96  16:26:48
Sb: #491089-City on The Edge
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       "...being withdrawn and not available for sale."

       Not correct.  The CITY limited-edition hardback came out last fall (I
have a copy), and quickly sold out, though a few places may still have a copy
or two floating around.  The softcover release will be out later this year
sometime.

                                                                       jms

   this season (a hint JMS gave us earlier) with a MAJOR spoiler from a WB
   press release.  I won't repeat it here, because it is *big time*.  Anyone
   who really wants to know can find the press release on the Internet.
   PLEASE DON'T E-MAIL ME!  Thanks. ]

 #: 491217 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-Apr-96  19:13:37
Sb: #490561-#<Interludes SPOILER>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You really shouldn't drop a message like that into a thread without a
massive spoiler warning and space, given the nature of the subject.

                                                                       jms

 #: 491192 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-Apr-96  18:32:14
Sb: #<<Ambassador Na'fon?>>
Fm: ELIZABETH

JMS:

Just a curious question.  I was rewatching "A Day in the Strife" today, and it
caused me to wonder about the Narn that was sent to take over for G'Kar.  Is he
still around, or is that a small comet that went by? <g>

Thanks.

Liz

 #: 491219 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-Apr-96  19:16:08
Sb: #491192-<<Ambassador Na'fon?>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      When he failed to convince the other Narns to accept him as their new
leader -- which was the whole point to his being sent to B5 in the first place
-- he had no choice but to go home.

    18-Apr-96  21:29:03
Sb: #<STV: a Narn question>
Fm: STEVE RAMAGE

A lovely episode. Hilarious and chilling in such rapid turns that you're still
processing the impact of one moment when the next is on top of you. Well done.

So hokay then, I'll bite...

What happened to the Narn. You know -- the one lying tied up on the floor,
waiting to find out if he's going to be done with his own blade? Is this yet
another thread I'm going to have to keep in my head, or was he, his
contribution to this episode concluded, returned to supernumerary Hell? <g>

Steve Ramage
Seattle

 #: 491460 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Apr-96  01:53:32
Sb: #491350-<STV: a Narn question>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, nothing happened to him; Vir wouldn't ever do that.

                                                                      jms

 #: 491225 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-Apr-96  19:21:03
Sb: #489807-#<<Recasting fever>>>
Fm: DAVID SCARPA

Joe , in one of the early eps there is a shadowery figure I think there was
some hidden group called Controll 11 or something what ever happened to these
individuals and is hat a dropped thread or one that will come up again ?

 #: 491461 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    19-Apr-96  01:53:33
Sb: #491225-<<Recasting fever>>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The Bureau was incorporated into other parts of the government.

                                                                     jms

   will try new ideas until one clicks and then stick with it and milk it for
   all it's worth (i.e. "big money"). ]

 #: 491467 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Apr-96  02:05:01
Sb: #491250-B5 v Star Trek
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      If I'd wanted Big Money, I'd've stayed on MURDER, SHE WROTE, where I was
paid *twice* what I get on B5, given that it's a top-ten rated network show.
But I left that to do this.

      This isn't a random casting about for an idea that makes money.  For one
thing, "ideas" don't make shows, characters do.  Second, if what you posit were
true, I wouldn't have built the show so that it self-destructs after 5 years.
Finally, every season of this show for three years plus the pilot for four has
pushed the envelope completely; we only have two years left.  Not much time to
settle into complacency, wouldn't you say?

      Maybe you should bea little less cynical and insulting about a field
about which you do not seem terribly well informed.

                                                                       jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *