JMS on CompuServe (May 14, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/2

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue May 14 13:49:51 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #504872-Zocalo Statement
    Sb: #504993-#B5 and J.R.R.Tolkien?
    Sb: #505009-Joe an atheist?
    Sb: #505124-Cheers for Mira
    Sb: #505276-#<Ship of Tears-Bester>
    Sb: #505167->>Interludes<<
    Sb: #505200->>Interludes<<
    Sb: #505102-<<Whither Lyta?>>
    Sb: #505122-Doolitle's Raid
    Sb: #505220-#<<I&E  Sublime>>
    Sb: #505205-B5 and J.R.R.Tolkien?

 #: 504872 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  07:56:24
Sb: #Zocalo Statement
Fm: DAVID KUHN

Hi Joe,

>From the Zocalo newsletter, a quoted JMS statement:

"JMS: I believe the true, honest, drop-dead date is June 10th, which is when we
have to pick up the actors' contracts.  If it's after that, we lose out options
on the actors."

Now this scares the heck out of me!  I am starting to feel devestated (course I
can't imagine how you feel).  Any comments on your earlier statement to help us
feel better?

Thanks kindly, Joe.

Dave Kuhn

 #: 505143 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  16:15:12
Sb: #504872-Zocalo Statement
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Still waiting....

                                                                     jms

   name as "Michael J. Straczynski." ]

 #: 505309 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-May-96  20:48:14
Sb: #504993-#B5 and J.R.R.Tolkien?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Odd...they reversed the Michael and the J.  Weird they'd do that.

    13-May-96  13:11:04
Sb: #504771-#Joe an atheist?
Fm: DANIEL M. UPTON

>>We weren't talking about "rights," Daniel.  We were talking about "good" or
"bad" human beings.<<

Alright, you and I are both humans.  We are in essence equal.  So by what
authority do you say that "A" is bad and "B" is good and why should I respect
it?

Dan^^^^
danupton at blueridge.net

 #: 505310 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-May-96  20:48:17
Sb: #505009-Joe an atheist?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Alright, you and I are both humans.  We are in essence equal.  So by what
authority do you say that "A" is bad and "B" is good and why should I respect
it?"

You respect if if there are more people than you are who believe A is bad and B
is good, and they pass a bunch of laws requiring your adherence to this.

Furthermore...

You, as a christian, say A is bad, B is good, suggesting the transcendental
guidance of your particular deity or prophet.

A moslem says B is good, and A is bad, based on the transcendental guidance of
HIS particular deity or prophet.

So how is this resolved?

See, this is one of the problems people bring to the table on this argument;
they argue that truth always comes from transcendental god...omitting that they
mean THEIR PARTICULAR god, that this alone is real truth...and the other guys
are just misled.  "Ours is BETTER.  Our god can beat up their god."

It's like those who want creationism taught in schools...oddly, when they bring
this up, it's always the christian version of this...you don't tend to hear
much about the one where Earth is carried on the back of a giant turtle....

                                                                        jms

   was excited by the sight of the "sharkteeth" on Sheridan's 'Fury. ]

 #: 505311 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  20:48:20
Sb: #505124-Cheers for Mira
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Tell your husband that the Flying Tigers actually have given their
permission for us to use their logos and artwork; Sheridan's helmet has a
Flying Tigers logo.

                                                                         jms

 #: 505276 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  20:27:59
Sb: #501842-#<Ship of Tears-Bester>
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

>>Yes, this was definitely intended from the start with Bester.<<

<pout> You could have given us little clues about it, like you did with Talia's
alternate personality.  Or did you?

Sin wreak`oar Mistie, Montie, Jordanite and PITAS
Emperor of SPAMM, High Lord of Thread Drift
Kidism Patrol; Recruitment Division and Spoiler Police

 #: 505316 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  20:58:53
Sb: #505276-#<Ship of Tears-Bester>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Not everything in life has a clue in front of it....

                                                                     jms

 #: 505167 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  17:28:21
Sb: #504724-#>>Interludes<<
Fm: DANIEL M. UPTON

>> I know we had more on Murder, She Wrote.<<

Speaking of MSW.  If you were still the producer what are the chances that the
last episode of the series would have been about Jessica's friends using
Jessica's investigative techniques to solve Jessica's murder?

Dan^^^^
danupton at blueridge.net

 #: 505317 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  20:58:55
Sb: #505167->>Interludes<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The odds of that story are about zip.  One doesn't do such things to
Jessica Fletcher.

                                                                      jms

   race. ]

 #: 505318 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  20:58:56
Sb: #505200->>Interludes<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the shadows and vorlons are definitely not the same race.  And
thanks.

                                                                           jms

 #: 505319 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  20:58:57
Sb: #505102-<<Whither Lyta?>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      She'll now have to work with the incoming replacement Vorlon, who might
be just a bit miffed....

                                                                     jms

 #: 505122 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  15:59:56
Sb: #Doolitle's Raid
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hi Again,

Just saw I&E.  Probably the last one in the country!   Anyway, was this Vorlon
attack synonomous to Jimmy Doolittle's raid on Tokyo in the early days of WWII?
America was getting its ass kicked all over the place if I remember my history,
and we were desperate to show the world that Japan could be hurt.  SOunds alot
like what Sheridan was saying.

In addition, I'm a little frustrated with the Sheridan/Kosh thing.  Kosh said
over a year ago that he would train him to fight shadows.  Haven't really seen
any except for perfect beauty in the darkness.  And judging from what SHeridan
said to Kosh, there hasn't been a whole lot lately. WHat exactly has Sheridan
learned as of now?  Will Kosh's replacement become his mentor now?  Terri
thinks that the new replacement will be a woman Vorlon..... a Vorlette?

Anxiously waiting a reply,

Mike

 #: 505320 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  20:59:01
Sb: #505122-Doolitle's Raid
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Sheridan has almost certainly not learned all he needed to know.

                                                                     jms

 #: 505220 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  18:57:38
Sb: #<<I&E  Sublime>>
Fm: TIMOTHY C SCHELL

I've been impressed mightily by everything in this last run of episodes, but
"Interludes and Examinations" tops it all.  No television episode has so
stunned me with its emotional impact.  Subconsciously I must have assumed that
Kosh would be around for the entire series, so I felt a sense of awe and terror
(well, just a little terror) when he went down.  I just don't associate awe
with TV, but you crafted this moment very, very well.

Kosh's passing left me with a few questions.  Maybe you've answered these
already, but I missed them last week when WinCIM had a bad bout of .idx
problems.  If you or someone else would be kind enough to indulge me, I'd be
grateful.

1.  Kosh died fighting, I guess, and I'm also guessing that he took some
Shadows with him.  How was this fight different than the one we didn't see in
"Signs and Portents"?  Were there more Shadows this time or are they getting
stronger?

2.  If Kosh did take out some Shadows, will more be sent to Morden as
replacements?

3.  Did Kosh project to Delenn, G'Kar, or anyone else besides Sheridan during
the fight?

4.  Did Garibaldi ever get a chance to speak with Kosh about the Talia/Abbut
data crystal as hinted at in "Divided Loyalties"?

5.  Besides being extremely old, was Kosh an average Vorlon or particularly
special in terms of strength, skill, or status?  No other ambassador on the
station has demonstrated the clout back home to sortie an entire fleet at a
moments notice.  Delenn and Londo have only called on forces from a particular
faction in their polities.

Because B5 succeeds at a high standard so frequently, it's easy for me to the
fine quality of the writing, acting, and production for granted.  And then you
ambush me with an "Interludes and Examinations" and remind me that there is
genius in this tale.  You and your people produce the best entertainment that
has ever come out of my television.

Tim

 #: 505321 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-May-96  20:59:04
Sb: #505220-#<<I&E  Sublime>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

To your questions:

1.  Kosh died fighting, I guess, and I'm also guessing that he took some
Shadows with him.  How was this fight different than the one we didn't see in
"Signs and Portents"?  Were there more Shadows this time or are they getting
stronger?

They were not initially prepared to kill him.  That was a territorial or
jurisdictional squabble.  This was retribution.

2.  If Kosh did take out some Shadows, will more be sent to Morden as
replacements?

He didn't.  Hurt 'em good, but didn't take them out.

3.  Did Kosh project to Delenn, G'Kar, or anyone else besides Sheridan during
the fight?

No.

4.  Did Garibaldi ever get a chance to speak with Kosh about the Talia/Abbut
data crystal as hinted at in "Divided Loyalties"?

Yes.

5.  Besides being extremely old, was Kosh an average Vorlon or particularly
special in terms of strength, skill, or status?  No other ambassador on the
station has demonstrated the clout back home to sortie an entire fleet at a
moments notice.  Delenn and Londo have only called on forces from a particular
faction in their polities.

He was certainly well regarded...one of the older of the vorlons.

                                                                      jms

   about JMS. ]

 #: 505395 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-May-96  23:47:35
Sb: #505205-B5 and J.R.R.Tolkien?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"The best place to find out more about Joe is from the Lurker's Guide
(http:/www.hyperion.com/lurk/lurkers.html)."

      Yeah...I suppose...well, that or America's Most Wanted....