JMS on CompuServe (Nov 16, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Nov 17 00:36:07 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ##  let local staions and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #611492-Episode Titles
    Sb: #611548-WB merchandise catalog
    Sb: #611414-John in the Underworld
    Sb: #611383-4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
    Sb: #611631-4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
    Sb: #611496-<Delenn's Alamo>
    Sb: #611524-<<<ZaHaDum>>

 #: 611492 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Nov-96  17:27:51
Sb: #Episode Titles
Fm: MICHAEL R. BREHMER

Joe:

Your titling of episodes has almost a lyrical quality.  At what point do you
come up with the title - before you write the episode, during, or at the end?
The titles oftentimes convey so much and other times convey so little.  (The
latter is a compliment, Joe.  Your titles and your episodes always make me
think and that is a precious commodity in TV these days.  Thank you.)

Two titles are particularly striking:  "Passing Through Gethsemane" and
"Falling Toward Apostheosis".  I am wondering if you are familiar with the W.B.
Yeats poem (the title escapes me - too many years since college English
literature) that refers to "shadows" and "slouches toward Bethlehem"?  Also,
have you ever read the book "Slouching Toward Bethlehem" by Joan Didion, circa
1968, which, I believe, contains a fragment of the Yeats poem?  The
phrase/title has nice symetry with your two episode titles.

Keep up the great work.  All activity in our house ceases, except for gluing
eyes to TV, when B5 comes on at 7:00 pm on Thursday nights.

Mike Brehmer
"Wandering blindly around house after watching WHtMrG episode - eyes still
glued to TV, mouth still on floor -- it's great!"

 #: 611638 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Nov-96  22:14:41
Sb: #611492-Episode Titles
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I always have to have the title before I begin writing, since it sets the
whole tone for the episode.  I can labor for hours just coming up with the
right title...other times it just hits me.

      And I've read the Yeats poem...even had G'Kar quote that passage in
"Revelations."

    15-Nov-96  19:12:48
Sb: #WB merchandise catalog
Fm: MIKE ROBISON/ WA & FL

Joe,
    While I know what you said in Chicago about the "tail wagging the dog" as
    far a merchandising B5 goes, everytime I get a new WB merchandise catalog,
    I can't help but think how much I would like to be able to buy a nice polo
    shirt or denim long sleeve shirt with an embroidered B5 color sword logo on
    the breast.... Just one or two shirts?

No reply needed, I'm just trying to plant a seed! <hopeful grin>

Mike

 #: 611639 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Nov-96  22:14:43
Sb: #611548-WB merchandise catalog
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The WB stores/catalog generally don't carry items from many of the shows
produced by WB.  Only a very rare few.  And B5 isn't technically a WB show, it
only distributes the show, so I'd say the odds are slim and none.

                                                                    jms

 #: 611640 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  22:14:45
Sb: #611414-John in the Underworld
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Though I lived all around the country, I was born in Paterson, and spent
many years in Newark, then Matawan.

                                                                    jms

   recently starting watching Babylon 5 and really enjoys it. ]

 #: 611641 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  22:14:47
Sb: #611383-4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and welcome to the show.  Say hello to Mr. Steed for me.

    15-Nov-96  21:53:34
Sb: #611347-#4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

<<        I've worked out the details for 1,000 years in either
direction for the B5 storyline in general, and in specific for 100
years in either direction; there's no chance of anything getting
watered down no matter what happens...there's enough story there for
several novels >>

I'm not surprised -- why else would the universe of B5 feel so real?
But on a tangent, do you find that there are new characters that keep
cropping up in your imagination beyond the scope of the current 5-year
arc that nag to have their stories told?  ("But what about ME; wasn't I
important 50 years down the line?")

-rje-

I can almost feel the rustling-in of some kind of enchantment already.

 #: 611642 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  22:14:49
Sb: #611631-4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's always new stuff cropping up and creeping in; half the struggle
in this show is deciding what to tell, and what not to tell...it just goes on
and on.

    15-Nov-96  17:33:35
Sb: #<Delenn's Alamo>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Howdy, Joe;

A totally minor and nearly silly question about my new favorite episode (tied
with "Severed Dreams," of course):

Since we've been told (by Marcus) that learning Minbari is essential to Ranger
training, can we assume that when Delenn was addressing the gathering of human
and minbari Rangers in "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?" that she was
speaking in Minbari (ala the WWII movies of which you spoke earlier)?

Or do the minbari Rangers learn English/Human as part of their training?

Thankie,

  -- Brent

 #: 611643 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  22:14:52
Sb: #611496-<Delenn's Alamo>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      She was speaking Minbari.

      That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

                                                                    jms

   actors' facial expressions that you don't notice on first viewing.
   As an example, he cites Claudia Christian's Ivanova reacting to
   Corwin's news of the missing Mr. Garibaldi in "Z'Ha'Dum." ]

 #: 611644 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  22:14:54
Sb: #611524-<<<ZaHaDum>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Claudia did a great job with that.  And yes, the details are
what make it come alive.  As Michelangelo said, "Trifles make perfection, and
perfection is no trifle."