JMS on CompuServe (Nov 17, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Nov 17 19:17:09 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ##  let local staions and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #612067-<Vir speculat'n-spoiler>
    Sb: #611859-Crossing the line
    Sb: #611940-<Hour/Confirm?>
    Sb: #612052-<WHtMG?>
    Sb: #612083-<Best Gas?>
    Sb: #612084-Knock, Knock?
    Sb: #612094-<WHtMG>--house reaction

 #: 612133 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  01:24:46
Sb: #612067-<Vir speculat'n-spoiler>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Not yet....

                                                                    jms

   did her feelings for Sheridan go from friendship to love? ]

 #: 612134 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  01:24:49
Sb: #611859-Crossing the line
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't think Minbari galvanize in quite the same way...with them, I
think it's more a gradual, growing relationship, and as many do, there's just
one day when the closeness crosses a point without you almost being aware of
it...and there it is.

    16-Nov-96  15:08:34
Sb: #609245-#<Hour/Confirm?>
Fm: MERYL  YOURISH

Joe:

Lorien's makeup is fantastic, but the eyes--those eyes!

Are those entirely Wayne's eyes? They seem to bore both from and right into the
soul. Is he wearing contacts, or do you just have the greatest makeup artist in
the world?

This show just keeps on getting better and better. Be careful. If I remember
correctly from my mythology, when people reach perfection, they die. You're
getting awfully close to that point with B5. <g>

        Meryl

 #: 612135 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  01:24:51
Sb: #611940-<Hour/Confirm?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The eyes have metallic gold contact lenses; you can't see them as well in
the red light, but later, you'll see them better.

    16-Nov-96  20:26:45
Sb: #<WHtMG?>
Fm: ELYSE M. GRASSO

Joe --

I've watched this episode twice, and it just gets better... I need to watch the
G'Kar/Mollari scene a few more times to savor it and the Lorien/Sheridan scene
a few more times to contemplate it. Those scenes are almost too much to hold in
my head yet.

What sticks in my mind are all the little touches that built the texture of the
world: empty medlab. G'Kar brushing his teeth. The cat that was startled by the
pike, and "I like it". Londo grabbing his dagger before he went to the door,
and brushing the dust of the dungeon off his knees. Marcus' 'weather report'.
The implied threat in Cartagia's tiny little bell.

Lots of 2-people-in-a-room drama in this one, with the barfight and G'Kar's
capture and Delenn's speech to provide a bit of contrast.  Very nice... (I
suppose we're in for space battles next week, which I find as boring as the
play-by-play sections of the Illiad.)

Two sort of general editorial comments:

I saw a note where someone (who probably likes the play-by-play sections of the
Illiad) complained about the title of the episode, given that Garibaldi
appeared so briefly. For all of the power and intensity of the scenes between
Sheridan and Lorien, and in the dungeon, I think the single most powerful line
in the whole show was when the battered and shackled G'Kar (wonderful makeup
job) looked at Cartagia and asked him if he knew what had happened to
Garibaldi. Just lovely, and both more effective and safer than explicit
defiance would have been.

I've also seen someone ranting on and on that Lorien was obviously the devil
because his headpiece looked like horns, but it never looked like horns at all
to me, and this episode it looks more like an image of a crown of thorns.
Rorschach jewelry? I'm getting strange echoes of 'Gethsemane' from this episode
in both the G'Kar and Sheridan plot threads: Lorien waiting, and G'Kar's
insistence that Marcus should leave him. (There's a little voice in the back of
my head that keeps claiming that G'Kar  knew he might not get out himself when
he sent Marcus away.)

It's interesting, the way things are going, the Mollari's image in the opening
credits shows him grim-faced and appalled, watching the bombing of Narn. While
G'Kar's head-shot shows him happy, and the action shot is his battle for
authorrrrity among the Narns on the station. Hmm.

Looking forward to next week.

I think. {G'Kar has been my favorite character since Mind War...)

-- Elyse M. Grasso

 #: 612136 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  01:24:53
Sb: #612052-<WHtMG?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...I agree on pretty much all of that.  I'm very proud of this one.

    16-Nov-96  21:25:20
Sb: #<Best Gas?>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Howdy, Joe;

With regard to the PsiCop who entered the cell after Garibaldi had been gassed:

Can I take it that you chose a man with the same general physique as Walter
Koenig and had him wear an opaque mask (something we've not seen before and
that wouldn't be required if you're coming in to inspect someone who'd
passed-out) for a reason?  :-)

  -- Brent

 #: 612137 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  01:24:55
Sb: #612083-<Best Gas?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Who would do a thing like that?

    16-Nov-96  21:27:10
Sb: #Knock, Knock?
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Oh, Joe, one last thing about 401/402:

Since Ivanova (and Delenn, and the rest, I assume) have resigned themselves to
Sheridan's death, has anyone bothered to try to contact his family and let them
know of his fate? Or is this something they wouldn't want to get out to the
"other side" (although I don't see how they can avoid it if all of the
ambassadors heard the same rumors)?

Thanks muchly,

  -- Brent

 #: 612138 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  01:24:57
Sb: #612084-Knock, Knock?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's what Franklin was doing, gathering his possessions with the intent
of getting word to Sheridan's family.

    16-Nov-96  21:43:42
Sb: #<WHtMG>--house reaction
Fm: MARA K. MALOVANY

        Well, I've only watched the episode once so far, but I just wanted to
give you my first reaction.

        When I realized that the last scene was, in fact, the last scene, I let
out a howl of "THAT BAST**D!!!"  Mom, thinking I was reacting to the characters
gave a confused, "huh?"
        "THERE'S ONLY TWO MINUTES LEFT!!!  JOE'S A VICIOUS BAST**D!!!"
        As the screen went to black, my mother said, "Tell him he's a very mean
man."

        Congrats<g>,

Mara

 #: 612139 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers