JMS on CompuServe (Nov 22, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Nov 22 18:06:42 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #614534-<Mr G. > - God?
    Sb: #614297-Literary references
    Sb: #614501-<Rage'sThots: Garibaldi>
    Sb: #614502-<Rage'sThots:Technomagi>
    Sb: #614245-<The Summoning>
    Sb: #614573-Fleet combat
    Sb: #614581-Nature of Vorlons
    Sb: #614628-Spinoff Series-Sinclair
    Sb: #614667->>The Summoning<<
    Sb: #614694-Part of It
    Sb: #614713-JMS: season 4 = arc end?

 #: 614568 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-Nov-96  00:53:45
Sb: #614534-<Mr G. > - God?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      He'll discuss his origins at considerable length in about 3 or 4 more
episodes.

    21-Nov-96  12:56:57
Sb: #Literary references
Fm: ED PASSARELLA, ZIFF-DAVI

The best literature combines interesting characters in dramatic situations, as
you'd find in any good story with an underlying texture of literary, cultural,
religious, historical and even contemporary references.

I read your comments about mythology elsewhere, so I looked a little deeper.
The symbolism of ships named Agamemnon and Icarus lends some of that wonderful
texture. I may be off base, but I also feel echoes of the Trojan War here, too.
The Vorlons and Shadows remind me of the surprisingly petty gods and goddesses
manipulating the humans to play out Olympian feuds and avenge the immortals'
slights.

The humans in Babylon 5, with their resilience, independence and general
upredictability, feel to me like true descendants of the headstrong heroes of
the Iliad and the Odyssey. Utimately, even with all the manipulation, divine
aid and divine intervention, the humans end up sealing their own fates -- one
way or another.

You've got great interesting characters in a compelling dramatic situation, but
I really like the archetypal resonance.

Ed

 #: 614569 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-Nov-96  00:53:47
Sb: #614297-Literary references
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...yeah, there's quite a bit going on in there....

    21-Nov-96  20:38:45
Sb: #<Rage'sThots: Garibaldi>
Fm: CHAD UNDERKOFFLER

[Note: Possible semi-spoiler for "The Summoning"]

Joe:

How off-base is this?

The "Facts/Clues"--

1. Garibaldi's being held by PsiCorps of one flavor or another.
2. We get no sound fx "hint" that he's being scanned.
3. From reading spoilers of "The Summoning," I see there's some discussion on
whether or not MG has had a "Talia-esque" Personality overlay.

My question is this: did the scene we saw of MG in WHtMG happen in "reality" or
is it the deranged babling's of Michael's mind trapped within a Control
overlay?

I've been thinking about McGoohan & the Prisoner too much...

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome
"Frug has some yams..."

 #: 614570 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-Nov-96  00:53:50
Sb: #614501-<Rage'sThots: Garibaldi>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, that scene happened in reality.

    21-Nov-96  20:38:49
Sb: #<Rage'sThots:Technomagi>
Fm: CHAD UNDERKOFFLER

Joe:

Do the Technomages (or Technomagi, natch) have access to higher than Earth
Alliance technology?  Or is it that their tech is aimed at "looking" magical?

I guess I'm hoping they come back this season, and I also guess that I hope
they're able to give some solid support for taking on the Shadows/Whoever who
seem much higher up on the technological chain of being.

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome
"I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company."

 #: 614571 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-Nov-96  00:53:51
Sb: #614502-<Rage'sThots:Technomagi>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They definitely have access to higher tech, through TMs on other worlds.

    21-Nov-96  12:35:51
Sb: #613776-#<The Summoning>
Fm: JOHN YUEN

Neils:

"Will they follow this plot point up?". In B5, I ask "How many episodes will we
have to wait till they follow up the plot point."

  Well, probably nothing good. One of my friend said that the voice talking to
Garibaldi belongs to Morden (I still have to check my tape), if that's the case
and then we saw a Psicop enters with a tinted face mask  (the only reason for a
tinted mask is that it's someone we knows and the only Psicop we knows by face
is Bester). This could means big trouble.

Regards
John Yuen

 #: 614738 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-Nov-96  13:35:02
Sb: #614245-<The Summoning>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It ain't Morden's voice.

                                                                       jms

   strategy and tactics from a former naval academy student.  Basically,
   he wonders why more Science Fiction television and movies don't
   portray three (or four -- time) dimensional tactics. ]

 #: 614744 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-Nov-96  13:44:09
Sb: #614573-Fleet combat
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Your point is a good one, and something we've discussed here on many
occasions.  There are some interesting 3D tactical things we'd like to try, and
are only waiting a chance and the right story with which to do them.

                                                                       jms

 #: 614745 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Nov-96  13:45:02
Sb: #614581-Nature of Vorlons
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Joe is fine....

    22-Nov-96  10:47:51
Sb: #Spinoff Series-Sinclair
Fm: CATHERINE BECIC

Just got a Babcom newsflash on Babylon 5:Crusaders as the new spinoff series
about the Rangers.  Would this be a new series for Michael O'Hare to lead?  I
believe you once said that it would probably be events taking place before the
current B5 storyline.

Going to SF convention tomorrow.  Hope Bruce, Peter and Bill are still showing
up!

Catherine Becic

 #: 614746 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Nov-96  13:45:03
Sb: #614628-Spinoff Series-Sinclair
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Everything is currently very fluid.

    22-Nov-96  13:50:08
Sb: #614291-#>>The Summoning<<
Fm: MARTE BRENGLE

My 17-pound tomcat Tybalt is *extremely* offended.

                                                --M--

 #: 614747 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Nov-96  13:45:04
Sb: #614667->>The Summoning<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Cool....

    22-Nov-96  14:45:21
Sb: #Part of It
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Howdy, Joe;

I was wondering:  Is Sheridan's piece of Kosh still with him after 402, or did
that "part of the problem" go away when John chose "tock"?

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 614748 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-Nov-96  13:45:06
Sb: #614694-Part of It
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       You'll find out in about 8 days.

    22-Nov-96  15:48:17
Sb: #614024-#JMS: season 4 = arc end?
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

If WB makes their decision in February or March, will you be able to adjust the
story appropriately?  I know you had mentioned elsewhere that you had 1000
years in either direction mapped out and 100 years either way in detail, so I'm
assuming all we'd miss is some more detail.  Is this correct?

--Scott

 #: 614749 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Nov-96  13:45:07
Sb: #614713-JMS: season 4 = arc end?