JMS on CompuServe (Nov 28, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Nov 28 17:19:43 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #617196-<Summoning>
    Sb: #617209-Apologies on CO
    Sb: #617216-#<The Summoning>
    Sb: #617221-#jms co on station.com
    Sb: #617286-#<Delenn - Lennier?>
    Sb: #617409-#<summoning>
    Sb: #617420-<<FTA>>
    Sb: #617549-<Selfless or Selfish?>
    Sb: #617623-#<Falling...>
    Sb: #jms & co at LosCon (LA)
    Sb: #617649-<The Summoning>
    Sb: #617848-First Contact vs. B5
    Sb: #617810-<<WHT Mr. Garibaldi?>>
    Sb: #617852-Zha'ha'dum

   being a "three edged sword." ]

 #: 617630 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Nov-96  16:35:01
Sb: #617196-<Summoning>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Suffice to say that Kosh was utterly correct about the sword, and we'll
be hearing this again soon.

                                                                       jms

   to JMS about bandwidth and router hops. ]

 #: 617631 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-96  16:35:02
Sb: #617209-Apologies on CO
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

               Hmm...most interesting...thanks.

                                                                       jms

   heard it somewhere. ]

 #: 617632 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Nov-96  16:35:03
Sb: #617216-#<The Summoning>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I thunk that up, as far as I know.

    26-Nov-96  20:48:50
Sb: #616787-#jms co on station.com
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

<< I'm *extremely* annoyed at this, and we're going to take some
serious steps to correct this and make sure it never, ever, EVER
happens again. >>

It looks like "jms' people are coming" will turn out to be some sort of
general convention/chat a priori definition of maximum size. ("How big
do you think the _____ will get?"  "I dunno.  To be on the safe side,
think jms'-people-are-coming.")

Will there be any kind of transcript of what went on between those who
successfully navigated the shoals made available?  If so, where and
how?

-rje-

I can almost feel the rustling-in of some kind of enchantment already.

 #: 617633 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Nov-96  16:35:04
Sb: #617221-#jms co on station.com
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I don't know if it'd be worth transcribing...too much chaos.

                                                                       jms

   she holds dear being gone in "The Summoning." ]

 #: 617634 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Nov-96  16:35:05
Sb: #617286-#<Delenn - Lennier?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Lennier had gone out for pizza....

                                                                       jms

   for Sheridan when she hugged him in "The Summoning." ]

 #: 617635 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Nov-96  16:35:07
Sb: #617409-#<summoning>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, it was just relief, letting her guard down, allowing herself to
feel, which she hadn't done much before this.  There's no romantic interest
there.  You can have situations where men and women work together, and can care
about one another, without it turning into more than that.

       Men seem to understand this less often than women.

                                                                       jms

   widescreen version must be awesome. ]

 #: 617636 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Nov-96  16:35:09
Sb: #617420-<<FTA>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks.  We can't release anything widescreen until we can go back and
re-telecine everything back to the original format, then recomposite the
effects.

    27-Nov-96  13:42:09
Sb: #<Selfless or Selfish?>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Howdy, Joe;

  A bunch of us are having a very heated debate about motivations and
consequences, and I'd like to ask you a question to put an end to it.

  I know this is probably a question you don't want to or can't answer at this
time, so I'll understand if you don't respond, but . . .

  Given what we know now about the price that had to be paid for Sheridan's
trip to Z'Ha'Dum, and Delenn's reaction to it, we're having a disagreement
about why Delenn in the future warned Sheridan not to go to Z'Ha'Dum.

  One camp believes that she acted in the heat of the moment, losing her
composure and begging him not to go to save him (and her) from the pain and,
possibly, prevent his twenty year death sentence.  In other words, she acted in
a moment of selfishness, ignoring the consequences of her act.

  The other camp believes that she performed a very painful, noble and
courageous act and told him not to go to Z'Ha'Dum because she remembered that
it was her warning that caused him to go and she knew the past had to happen
the way it happened or they wouldn't have won.

  Is there anything you can say to help us settle this disagreement?

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 617638 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Nov-96  16:35:16
Sb: #617549-<Selfless or Selfish?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I think both camps are probably right to one degree or another.

                                                                       jms

   and "Revelations" can be used to help Sheridan avoid his twenty year
   death sentence. ]

 #: 617640 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Nov-96  16:42:54
Sb: #617623-#<Falling...>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Remember, though, that the alien healing device isn't a cure-all; to
save one person's life, it takes the equal life force of another.  It was used
as a capital punishment device.  So somebody'd have to die for that to
happen...and even then, it doesn't cure everything.

    27-Nov-96  20:10:39
Sb: #jms & co at LosCon (LA)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Just an advisory: this Thanksgiving Sunday, there will be a 2 hour B5
presentation at LosCon, the annual fan-run convention put on by LASFS (usual
attendence about 1000).  The presentation/panel is slated for 2:30-4:30 in the
biggest room they have.  I'll do the first hour, then the second hour will have
our conceptual consultant Harlan Ellison, producer John Copeland, and
co-producer George Johnsen joining in.  (There's a possibility Peter Jurasik
may show up, but that's unconfirmed at this point.)

      We'll have the very first showing of the rough cut of season 4 bloopers,
scenes from several unaired episodes, a music video or two, and of course the
usual dog-and-pony show that has become the biggest draw at each year's LosCon.

      Because this tends to be a big event, you may want to be sure to show up
a bit early, to get a seat...they vanish REAL fast.

      The convention is taking place at the Burbank Airport Hilton, just abaft
from the Burbank Airport, natch.

      LosCon, as a fan convention, is a lot of fun, and there's generally a lot
of good stuff going on all 3 days as well.  If you haven't been to a con
before, this is a good one on which to cut your teeth.

    27-Nov-96  17:09:29
Sb: #617632-#<The Summoning>
Fm: SUSAN F. KIRN

Hi Joe,
   As you have probably read, B5 has been picked up by UPN here in Philadelphia
(after being dropped by WPHL).
   We are getting double episodes every Saturday night until we catch up with
the series in another week.
   So, forgive me for being a bit late, but I just wanted to congratulate you
on the start of a great season (just saw the first two episodes this past
Saturday) and to thank you for writing the most enjoyable, interesting,
gripping, and fun show on television.
   Watching B5 is like reading a spellbinding novel.  You are torn between
wanting to know the ending and hating the thought of reaching the end.
   Have a great Thanksgiving!

   - Susan

 #: 617731 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Nov-96  20:10:43
Sb: #617649-<The Summoning>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...we try.  And I'm happy Philly is back on board.

    28-Nov-96  01:24:34
Sb: #First Contact vs. B5
Fm: DAVID BELT

Joe,

I finally got to see Star Trek:  First Contact tonight.  I have wanted to see
it since it came out, but a whole host of obstacles prevented me.  Anyway, my
wife and I came out of the movie saying, "OK, that was a good 2 hour episode."
Don't get me wrong:  We enjoyed it, but felt that there was something missing.
On the way home it hit me:  Lately, the average episode of B5 had more impact
and emotional involvement for us than this movie.  I am still going to
recommend ST:FC to my friends, but B5 has so much more depth and scope to it.

Thank you for sharing your magnificent epic with us.  No story has moved me
this much since Tolkein.

Dave

 #: 617853 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Nov-96  02:27:42
Sb: #617848-First Contact vs. B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, I appreciate hearing that.  We do try to put a lot into these
things.

                                                                    jms

 #: 617854 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Nov-96  02:27:43
Sb: #617810-<<WHT Mr. Garibaldi?>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

         I think Lorien is beyond concepts of male and female as they pertain
to the Vorlons...that's our perception of them, not his.

                                                                    jms

 #: 617855 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    28-Nov-96  02:27:46
Sb: #617852-Zha'ha'dum
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It was a statement of fact, one way or another.