JMS on CompuServe (Apr 08, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Apr 8 15:15:11 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #660820-Babylon 5 RPG...canon?
    Sb: #Psi Phi Phony jms
    Sb: #660952-I-Con Invitation
    Sb: #660892-holding over episodes
    Sb: #660922-#B5 Fans vs. Trekkies
    Sb: #661012-King Arthur and Delenn
    Sb: #661195-#B5 RPG comments
    Sb: #661243-#I-CON
    Sb: #661312-#More I-CON Musings....
    Sb: #661386-I-CON

 #: 661606 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Apr-97  01:16:58
Sb: #660820-Babylon 5 RPG...canon?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I'm just hoping the technical manual will be released, either in hard copy or
on disc, it will make my task a great deal easier.":

      This will be coming out as the B5 Security Manual from Boxtree (likely to
then be reprinted by Del Rey), and in the B5 informational CDrom now being
finished.

    08-Apr-97  01:48:01
Sb: #Psi Phi Phony jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      To anyone one the Psi Phi mailing list or web site: someone has been
logging on to impersonate me over this past weekend.  I have never, at any
time, posted on this site, and any messages are to be discounted, deleted and
ignored.  If anyone knows the sysop of this system, please notify them and tell
them to remove that account.

      There have been, and continue to be, impersonators using my name on other
systems.  If you see something that looks suspicious, or if I show up on an
unfamiliar system, please send email to me asking if it's actually me or not.
Generally the only places I post *ever* are Compuserve, GEnie, AOL, the usenet
moderated group, and the B5 fan club site.

      To those considering this prank: understand that whereas other activities
are fuzzy under the law when it comes to the cyberworld, falsy impersonating
someone is *not*, and you will be arrested.  Count on it.

    03-Apr-97  16:50:36
Sb: #660855-#I-Con Invitation
Fm: KATHLEEN  . KEEFE

Interesting.  It did sound like she was toying around with some sort of accent,
debating whether to use it.  No improvement needed where Claudia is concerned.

I do have another question.  In one episode, Sinclair is listening to a tape of
someone reciting Tennyson.  Who was it?

Thanks.

 #: 661609 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Apr-97  01:48:05
Sb: #660952-I-Con Invitation
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think it was just someone from our walla group.

    03-Apr-97  08:55:12
Sb: #holding over episodes
Fm: CATHERINE BECIC

Perhaps I missed a previous answer to this.

I don't understand how they can consider holding over 4 episodes to the fall
again, especially if they decide to do without season 5.  We've had plenty of
discussion of the fact that there are too many shows to fill the available
timeslots left to tv stations.  It makes no sense to me that a station would
agree to carry 4 lone final episodes in the fall when they could instead choose
to start a new series for a full run.  I'm afraid that the viewers are gonna
get screwed!  (hope that doesn't get censored)

Catherine Becic

 #: 661610 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Apr-97  01:48:07
Sb: #660892-holding over episodes
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Fall would be October; they'd use the last episodes to ramp up whatever
comes next, us or something else, for the November sweeps.

    03-Apr-97  13:36:11
Sb: #B5 Fans vs. Trekkies
Fm: KEVIN P. KENNEY

This is probably a question for Harlan as well as you...

In his Newsweek article (that I am eagerly awainting the unexpurgated version
of on tonight's Sci-Fi Buzz), Harlan puts Trekkie convention devotees on the
negative side of the Sci-Fi vs Science Fiction scale.  (For those that miss all
of the above, the unexpurgated article will soon be on the Ellison Webderland
website - email me if I need to email you a copy.)  This, of course, begs the
question of whether we ('your people' as you say at conventions) are all that
different than those Trekkies.  We probably aren't (or at least I think I'm on
the wrong side of that scale).  Where is the line drawn?  How do we stay
'healthy' fans, and avoid getting mentioned in the next update of Harlan's
Xenogenesis?

Here to ask the tough ones...
KpK

 #: 661612 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Apr-97  01:48:12
Sb: #660922-#B5 Fans vs. Trekkies
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Leaving aside the whole broader questions at work here -- and there are
many -- I think that on balance, B5 fans would have a harder time falling for
this sort of thing in general because B5 does not offer answers, only
questions, and encourages viewers to think for themselves and question
authority.  This would not make them good candidates for cult recruitment
drives.

    03-Apr-97  22:32:54
Sb: #King Arthur and Delenn
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

Spending the time during reruns rewatching old episodes, season 3 this time.
(seems a bit redundant there..) anyway was watching A Late Delivery from Avalon
when Arthur gives Excalibur to Delenn.  Interesting that the person who pulled
the trigger against his will, needed to give the sign of his pain and grief, to
the very person whose will started the war, Delenn.  Wonder what he would think
had he actually known.

Doug

 #: 661613 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Apr-97  01:48:14
Sb: #661012-King Arthur and Delenn
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Had he actually known...it would've been even more apt.

                                                                    jms

   *everywhere*, all colonies, all major outposts...  B5 is about as
   'major' an outpost as EA has . . ." ]

 #: 661614 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Apr-97  01:48:15
Sb: #661195-#B5 RPG comments
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They would be a *major* disruption in an environment such as B5, so their
presence is discouraged in the sense of having an office there, though other
teeps do pass through on occasion.

                                                                    jms

 #: 661615 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    08-Apr-97  01:48:18
Sb: #661243-#I-CON
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks; you should've come up and said hi...every time someone asked me
to sign a card to Sharon, I said, "...Foster?"  Never worked out.

      The con was a lot of fun...hard work, but overall, fun.

                                                                    jms

   Babylon 5, just as with X-Files.  Asks JMS if he is an X-Files fan. ]

 #: 661616 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    08-Apr-97  01:48:20
Sb: #661312-#More I-CON Musings....
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, good points...and yeah, I generally try to watch X-Files, though
I've fallen a bit by the wayside lately due to a) work and b) the story getting
kinda convoluted (yeah, like I should talk)....

                                                                    jms

 #: 661386 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    06-Apr-97  20:21:46
Sb: #661243-#I-CON
Fm: MARA K. MALOVANY

>>and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your noon presentation and the
2 p.m. B5 panel with you, Harlan, Michael O'Hare, Peter David, John Peel, and
Marvin Kitman.<<

        Did Marvin give new meaning to the word 'clueless' or what?  When he
answered the audience question and started to move on without letting Joe et al
take a crack at it, I'm afraid I couldn't contain myself.  (I was the one in
the front row who burst out "Why don't you let someone else speak!!"  I just
couldn't help myself, I was so astonished by his behavior.  Of course, it got a
good line out of Harlan, so it was worth it<g>)

>>I puttered around in the dealers' room too long and much to my disappointment
they had closed off the track to your autograph session long before 4 p.m.,<<
        I left the line to get a hot dog and when I tried to get back to my
spot, security refused to let me back in.  I was _not_ a happy camper.  After
hearing for so long about how strongly Joe feels about not cutting the lines
off, I found it very hard to believe the con-staff-person who said that Joe had
given them his ok.

Mara

 #: 661618 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    08-Apr-97  02:05:56
Sb: #661386-I-CON
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I was not told that people had left the line and not been allowed in.
At one point, a security person pointed to the end of the line and told me that
now that we'd begun that would be the end of it, but that's all. (And I kept
insisting that I'd sign more than one thing, I'm real fast that way.)  I felt
that they were a little ham-handed in this...but at the same time, particulary
Sunday, I was on a *very* tight schedule, and that made things tough for
everyone.  But my policy holds: if someone's in line, they should get an
autograph, no matter how long it takes.