JMS on CompuServe (Apr 09, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed Apr 9 23:50:04 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #661637-Thanks, & some questions
    Sb: #661734-I-CON
    Sb: #661791-WesterCon 50

 #: 661637 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Apr-97  07:57:08
Sb: #Thanks, & some questions
Fm: DAVID FOX

Joe,

I was at ICON last weekend - first convention I've ever been to. Frankly, it
was your appearance that made me decide to go (that, and the fact that I live
about a mile away frm SUNY).

I wanted to thank you for taking time out from you horrendous writing schedule
to come to the convention. I was there on Saturday and was there for both your
presentation and the panel with Harlan, Marvin Kitman, and others. I haven't
laughed so hard in a very long time. Although I have seen Harlan on television
before, it is really an experience to see him live. The word "tirade" comes to
mind. I think the name Harlan must be translated form the word "opinion" in
some other language.

Anyway, I had a blast. I did have a couple of questions I didn't get to ask:

Was it your idea to have Marcus singing "I am the Very Model of a Moder Major
General" at the end of the last episode, or was it the actor who suggested the
specific song? It was such an inspired choice, and he did a great job with it.

Why has no one begun to put two and two together and think about the
possibility that Garibaldi's change in personality may be related to the fact
that he he and his ship were obviously abducted? It seems to me this would be
an obvious thig they would want to investigate.

And finally, I was the one at the convention who asked "where you found
Andreas". You answered humorously and it was obvious you thought I had asked a
dumb question. But I really didn't phrase the question well. What I meant was
this: It is clear he is an extremely fine actor and his portrayal of G'Kar has
given the series many of its finest acting moments (of ocurse it helps that you
have written some wonderful scenes for him). I have seen him in other movies,
etc. but there was nothing in them that showed the true depth of his acting
abilities. I was curious if you hired him just from an audition, or if you had
seen other pereformances which led you to believe he would be great for the
role and had pursued him. If that is the case, I would certainly love to see
those performances, if they are in movies which can be rented.

 #: 661668 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Apr-97  12:33:57
Sb: #661637-Thanks, & some questions
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The song was in the script; Jason then had to learn it.  And Andreas
came in and auditioned like others, and we responded to what we saw during his
audition.  Simple as that.

       And thanks....

                                                               jms

 #: 661734 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    08-Apr-97  18:59:38
Sb: #661618-#I-CON
Fm: MARA K. MALOVANY

>>At one point, a security person pointed to the end of the line and told me
that now that we'd begun that would be the end of it, but that's all.<<
        At the point when I tried to return to the line (maybe 4:15, 4:30, or
so), there were a good 30 or so people outside the door leading into the
athletic track.  For about 20 minutes, security wouldn't let us on the track
because they claimed that any more people on the track would be a fire hazard.
I figured that they'd let us in when people started exiting.  But then they
told us that we were not going to be let in because things were running late,
you had to be at the awards ceremony in 45 minutes, etc.  I told the guy (I
believe his name tag said "Doc") that I frankly didn't believe him, that you
had said countless times that you would sign for as long as was necessary.  He
insisted that he had told you that the line was being cut off, and you had
agreed.  I figured he was giving me the runaround, but it was useless to argue,
and things were starting to get seriously unpleasant out there, voices were
raised, etc.

        I was bummed out, mostly by the arbitrary nature of the cut-off, and
the fact that I knew that he was lieing to me.  (As it was, in my hurried
packing for the con on Friday night, I forgot to bring a single thing to be
autographed, so I don't really mind waiting for a future event when I'll have
my stuff with me---I even forgot to bring my novelization of "Return of the
Swamp Thing" for Peter David to sign<g>)
        I'm afraid I might have spent the rest of the day in a funk, but
wandering through the dealers' room grouchily, I happened to spot a copy of
Peter's "Howling Mad" novel, which I never thought I'd find, which vastly
improved my mood.

        Still, I'd love to know that "Doc" will be getting a piece of your
mind.
        Preferably the piece with the sharp edges.<eg>

Mara

 #: 661777 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    09-Apr-97  01:12:19
Sb: #661734-I-CON
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They cut the line off *outside*, after people had been waiting?!

      I didn't know.  Suffice to say I'm vastly disappointed and more than a
tad annoyed by this.

    09-Apr-97  05:20:20
Sb: #WesterCon 50
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

Joe,
    Have you and the Programming Dept. for WesterCon 50 worked-out your
schedule and will you let us know what it is when you do know?
                                                 Shane

 #: 661813 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Apr-97  12:31:16
Sb: #661791-WesterCon 50
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, I don't believe anything's been finalized yet, though I'll be sure
to mention when it is.