JMS on CompuServe (Apr 10, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Apr 10 20:14:14 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #jms Note to German Fans
    Sb: #661863-Brother Theo question
    Sb: #661885-Rosa Had a Script
    Sb: #661802-I-CON

 #: 661897 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Apr-97  22:22:22
Sb: #jms Note to German Fans
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I spoke to Bruce today, and apparently whatever problems may have existed
have been worked out, and he, Richard Biggs and Jerry Doyle are now all
confirmed for the German convention this summer.

      Now, that stated, an open letter to the German fan groups.

      Many on the B5 staff and I have been inundated with email from fans in
Germany, and organizers of various fan groups, and fan counter-groups, and
counter-counter groups, and insisting -- no, *demanding* -- that we get
personally involved in the fan situation there, that so-and-so has no business
working in X area of fandom, that this group over here isn't as right or proper
as *that* group over there, insisting again and again that we issue statements
condemning or repudiating one group or another....

      Stop it.

      For starters you're making my people crazy.  And some of the cast.  You
do not endear yourselves with this behavior.

      Second: it is not our place to intervene in fan-vs-fan disputes.  Not
only *would* we not do so, it would be wrong for us to try, and it would be
resented by the majority of fans, rightly so.

      Granted that there are always, and will always be, schisms and politics
and back-alley metaphorical knifings between one fan group and another, that
goes with the territory, and it happens in many countries.  But the ferocity of
this competition, and the blizzard of email to my staffers and others involved
with the show from those involved in the current dispute has gone beyond the
pale.

      If I know from personal experience or knowledge that a given convention
is going to be trouble, I'll say so...but I (and we) have no direct knowledge
of the situation in German fandom, and to ask us to condemn or recognize one
faction or another when we are completely in the dark is simply wrong.

      (I should mention that it's primarily those who are actually involved in
one group or another who are making life difficult for us here; we have
received only wonderful support from German fans in general, who don't get
involved in the politics of local fandom.  We're very proud of how the show has
been received in Germany, and are only appreciative of the great response and
support and letters we've received.  This is primarily addressed only to the
specific groups involved.)

      The point of B5 is that humans form communities; I'd ask that those who
enjoy the show work toward that goal, and work together, not fall into fan
feuds.

    09-Apr-97  18:26:09
Sb: #Brother Theo question
Fm: JULIA E. LINTHICUM

Just a quick question on Brother Theo and the monks -- have you ever mentioned
in the episodes or elsewhere which order the monks belong to? My foggy mind
seems to recall the monks being Benedictine, but I've since seen info
contradicting this and wondered if you could confirm/deny/contradict this.

Thanks.

Julia L.
who knows she's crazy she just needs official confirmation <g>

 #: 661899 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Apr-97  22:34:20
Sb: #661863-Brother Theo question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I've never mentioned which order they belong to (which as I recall is
Trappist).

                                                                    jms

 #: 661885 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    09-Apr-97  21:12:51
Sb: #Rosa Had a Script
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    Do you remember little Rosa Smothers, who asked you to sign a reproduced
page of your script for "Epiphanies" at MegaCon?  Well, I just wanted to let
you and everyone else know that she wrote a humorous little article about it,
and it's been published, complete with photos of the unusual event (not to
mention your unusual expressions :-) at:

      http://www.johndelenn.com/articles/rosa.html

  -- Brent

 #: 661900 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    09-Apr-97  22:34:21
Sb: #661885-Rosa Had a Script
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

         Suddenly I'm worried....

                                                                    jms

 #: 661802 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    09-Apr-97  08:40:31
Sb: #661568-#I-CON
Fm: DAVID FOX

>>Kitman went into a long, loooooong, introductory speech from his notes.  It
was so clueless it was hysterical.<<

Several people here have written that thye thought he was clueless. Well maybe
I misread the entire situation, but I thought that he was far from clueless,
and that his entire shtick was an act (and a very good one at that). It seemed
obvious to me from the questions he was asking that he wanted to spoof the
whole scene we have seen many times when an interviewer starts interviewning
someone on a subject and it becomes obvious that the interviewer is completely
ignorant of his subject.

 #: 661949 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    10-Apr-97  11:51:04
Sb: #661802-I-CON
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yeah, it seemed to us as well that he was having a bit of fun, being a
renowned satirist, and we figured we'd play into it.